Going to build tracks next fall and winter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to build tracks next fall and winter

Going to build tracks next fall and winter

Been looking at and doing an overabundant amount of reading about different styles of tracks being built by members. And kind of come up with a track that has belting on top of the tires, with grousers similar to escargot, but wrap down and act as guides. Anyone here think that it is a possibility? Places I go are narrow, boggy trails that are never driven on in spring summer or fall. Or stick with the raised belt style tracks?
    Always looking do or build things that are different.

bf ...my homebuilt tracks have two- 2'' wide belting that attach under the guides and float on top of the sides of the tires . they have worked just fine on my max 2 in snow and mud . they are kind of a '' happy medium '' between solid rubber or plastic tracks and tracks with the belts on the sides like argos tracks . there is 4'' space between the 2 belts so the tires grip the guides . i have run them for years and it's a pretty easy way to make your own tracks , plus they are narrower . although i later added pads on the outside of the guides for more '' footprint . i don't need to deal much with narrrow trails . so on my 25''x11'' wide tires the guides are 14'' wide. with the added pads on each side of the guides ( 2'' wide pads ) i gained another 4'' in overall width. hope this helps , johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by BF6X6 View Post
    Been looking at and doing an overabundant amount of reading about different styles of tracks being built by members. And kind of come up with a track that has belting on top of the tires, with grousers similar to escargot, but wrap down and act as guides. Anyone here think that it is a possibility? Places I go are narrow, boggy trails that are never driven on in spring summer or fall. Or stick with the raised belt style tracks?
    Always looking do or build things that are different.

Really depends on your terrain. If the belts are on top of the tires and run continuously then mud will not fall out between the grousers but will build up between the grousers meaning you would have less traction because the tracks would not clean out, Next thought, are you going to get any paddle action from your design? If not they won't swim. Are you running in marsh without a lot of mud?

In my case having tracks that clean out in the mud and swim (a little-not fast) is a big advantage because I run a lot in swamp areas and if the tracks didn't clean out I would be stuck immediately. From what I have seem flat ribbed rubber tracks are great in the snow but not as good in swamp conditions because they don't swim (several forum members have tried them). I ran a pair of cleated rubber tracks on my Suzuki quad and they worked well in watery mud but in pure mud-well watch the video and think about it.

good point dan...fortunately i was able to use my grousers from my original argo max 2 shackle tracks so i was able to keep open space between them to get mud out . sometimes i do get minimal tire slippage on the belts in really soupy mud , but it's o.k. for my use . adairs max 2 shackle tracks were really great , only problem was the metal plates that connected the grousers eventually wore the slots bigger and then had more slop in them. j.b.

That sounds rather interesting. I like the narrow part. Darn it. Gears shifted again.

Thank you for the info Mr Swenson.

Mr Edwards thank you for input. I did not mention that the centers will have openings for mud to be pushed out. I've seen people with solid rubber tracks in the mud, skeg, which got me thinking why would they do that to their machine. Never seen any Adairs in person, just from vids, but have witnessed escargots. Very impressive. Going to build a grouser once off shift, if all the measurements and design work. Might be a bit before I fully get it assembled, but once I do I put a pic of it on here. It may look beat up but want to see if it will have strength.

Looking forward to your track build ,i would like to copy if thats ok with you Thanks Steve

If it works close to what I am hoping, then yeah shouldn't be a problem. If they work like any of the other ones, well that's ok to. At least they will have a different look.

+ Reply to Thread