Bought my first Argo,,Quickly don't like it as much as my Max2

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first Argo,,Quickly don't like it as much as my Max2

Bought my first Argo,,Quickly don't like it as much as my Max2

I got a 2012 Frontier 650,,it has been sitting outside for a couple of years. Doesn't seem to be hurt. Needs a good cleaning. It came with a set of Escargo tracks. Tires are good. Can the upper body be removed like on a Max? Starter solenoid is bad so I'll fix that in the morning.
    How difficult is it to change an engine in one of these?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Depends on what engine you want to put in. If you are going to replace the engine with the same thing , it is an easy swap. Something else can be a total nightmare. You have to be concerned with your drive line, wiring, exhaust etc. Depends also on your mechanical abilities, place to work on it, tools, etc. And your budget. For every dollar you figure on spending......add about 50-75 percent more. The top on the older ones are just rivetted on. Don't know about yours. Probably. If it has a rubber ring around the outside of the tub, just look under that.

Assuming you have a four stroke Vanguard of 16/18HP, you can direct swap a 23HP Vanguard in as plug and play. They’re like $800 new so pretty easy swap. Anything else will require fabrication, but given these things are dead simple in their construction, it’s not terribly difficult beyond making the few things necessary to swap. If you’re just looking to replace the old tires motor, I’d go this route. Having ridden in a MaxII I’m a little surprised you don’t like the Argo as they’re similar enough but the Argo has better fit and finish. My opinion.
    Located in Western Montana

2003 Argo Bigfoot 31hp Spray Rig

If I can't get the Vanguard running I may swap to a Predator 670. Right now it has so much trash around the engine from a rat, it's hard to see down in the engine compartment.

The vanguard are good motors from what I read. Clean fuel system real good , including carb if it was sitting with fuel in it.

We got it to turn over and fire on starting fluid, so the carb comes apart today. Having no luck finding the correct rebuild kit for the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK55FLA View Post
    We got it to turn over and fire on starting fluid, so the carb comes apart today. Having no luck finding the correct rebuild kit for the carb.

After spending most of today taking the carb apart,,searching for the correct Overhaul kit ( even the Argo kit is not the same as what I have) Don't know if the carb has been changed??? Etc. I ordered a kit, will be here tomorrow. If I can't get this thing running tomorrow, I'm ready to cut my losses and get rid of it.

Rick did you try a small engine repair shop to see if they have a lot ? Or look at Amazon they may have kit or carb replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by 449fitter View Post
    Rick did you try a small engine repair shop to see if they have a lot ? Or look at Amazon they may have kit or carb replacement.
    yes, went to my local shop and they couldn't find it either.

There may be another option. Lectron carb, best carb I've ever seen or used. Once set up it's practically like fuel injection, silky smooth acceleration & increased fuel economy. It actually felt slower on acceleration because it so smooth, when in reality it was quicker. Much more user friendly than a typical carb. No idea if they have a model for the argo engine, but no doubt it could be easily adapted. Had it on my bike, if I had gotten an Argo with a carbed engine, I guarantee you a Lectron would have been in my future.

+ Reply to Thread