Weak Spark Need Help Cleaning Points

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weak Spark Need Help Cleaning Points

Weak Spark Need Help Cleaning Points

Attex 252 Crazy Colt
    JLO L252L, Mtr# 25222090

I have spark at the ignition cable to cylinder head but not spark plug when connected and grounded to cylinder head. Spark from cable to cylinder head is variant, sometimes blue, yellow or orange. It will not spark across a larger gap like 1/8 of an inch.

Assuming weak spark. Checked harness and ignition cable for any breaks. Cleaned all connections and cleaned all grounds. No luck.

I want to clean the points as I’ve read can be done with an emery board or a dollar bill. After pulling recoil and fan cover I still cannot get eyes on the armature plate where I assume the points are.

Please help.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    They are behind the flywheel I believe. Sounds like also a bad condensor. You will have to pull the flywheel. I am not sure on that engine(been a long time since I worked on one)but once you remove your starter recoil pulley on the engine there should be a three or four bolt pattern that you will need to use a puller on. Do not try pulling from the outer edges as you can break your flywheel. Once that is off you will have access to everything. I have seen guys try to use a two or three jaw puller on the inside spaces close to the crank and the engine turns. They then stated to replace the lighting and ignition cols as they damaged them. Learned that lesson from someone else for a change. It may also have very fine internal threads which you need a special puller for. I just don't remember. Weak blue spark =points, yellow, orangey= condenser. probably need both. If you get that far change them both instead of cleaning the points.

Thank you for the info. Just got my hands on a harmonic puller and see if I can manage with that. If coil and points are bad I hope I can find some new replacements.

+ Reply to Thread