Fuel flow issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel flow issues

Fuel flow issues

Hi all, I'm hoping someone has an answer to my problem.
    I had a brand new carb installed in my ATV and it seemed to run well but began sputtering and finally stalled after a few minutes running, so i changed the in line fuel filer out for a new one. The old filter was shaped like a disc about an inch in diameter and about 1/4"-3/8" thick, and all the similar filters i found were only rated for much smaller engines, so I thought if I put a larger filter on it would be fine.
    What I found out by looking at the clear filter while the engine is running is that the carb sucks the fuel filter dry, so I thought maybe I had a vent issue or broken petcock and began troubleshooting.
    When I pulled the gas line off the intake end of the filter the gas flowed freely from the gas tank, but as soon as I reconnected the gas line onto the fuel filter the flow stopped. Several minutes later I could see fuel slowly filling the filter again so I started the quad up again and it fired up right away, but again after 3 or 4 minutes running the filter was empty and the quad died after running out of fuel again.
    I tried leaving the gas cap off thinking there might be an air lock, but that didn't help, I even blew through the gas cap vent line to pressurize the gas tank hoping to force fuel into the filter and enough gas flowed into the filter to start the engine and move it to an easier location to work on, but it ran out of fuel again.
    The engine is a 700cc and like I said a brand new carburetor was installed...I don't know what else to do other than trying out another new inline fuel filter like the original filter. BTW when I took the old filter off I was able to blow through it quite easily, so I think this was a problem even before I replaced the carb.
    The only other thing I can think of is a faulty petcock, but the fuel flows well from the fuel line when disconnected from the fuel filter.
    I could eliminate the inline filter but I don't like the idea of unfiltered fuel going to the carb.
    Any ideas what could be wrong, or how to fix this problem?
    Last edited by Moderator Bob; 03-22-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Moved thread into engine section.

+ Reply to Thread