Swim tire?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swim tire?

Its been a long time sense i posted that. I don't remember them swimming at all stock, but being decent after cutting the knobs off. I have a machine running far worse swimmers now than those were after i modified them. if i still had the machine i could probably go test it in the front yard right now
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Good to know. I’m looking for tires to replace my weather checked 25” Rawhides to run inside my tracks. They also need to be the same profile.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

I have seen the those tires on Rogers Argo conquest and a MAXIV, I think Roger modified his, on an 8x8 I would guess he got 2 MPH, reversed on a MaxIV they would just barely swim. I have heard a few times about the modifications.

I read that thread about the modification a while ago, but I wasn't sure if it was effective or not. I've been on the hunt for some affordable tires for my 8x8 with at least some swimming capacity, maybe I'll have to give those a try with the modification. Any tips or tricks for cutting the lugs off? I would just put the new style argo tires on there, but they run almost $2,300 CAD for the 22's after everything and that's a little more than I can stomach for a machine that's probably not worth much more than that to begin with.

I just used side cutters and lots of patience I think there was 72 knobs per tire ti cut off. Took about 45 minutes a tire

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    I just used side cutters and lots of patience I think there was 72 knobs per tire ti cut off. Took about 45 minutes a tire
    Perfect, thanks! I see these tires on quite a few machines, with lots of opinions and threads on if they swim or are adaquate budget tires or not. I think I may make a video testing them before and after the modification in each direction to give others who may be interested in a budget tire with light swimming capacity something to consider.

ya I need 6 tires and have been thinkin these would be it as I dont plan to swim them but have held off cause well ya never know and maybe you might swim some time, so a test would be great for me?

Here is a little video of Roger S. (R.I.P.) with those tires on his 8x8 Argo. Roger was one of the Best AATV drivers I ever saw, he could make that 8x8 do whatever he wanted. I watched him at River run swim across water using this back seat driving several times.

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 04-05-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks for the info. I might go this route as long as they are the same profile as the Rawhides to fit in the tracks.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

https://youtu.be/WG151ac9FHA

Well this is a bit of an old thread now but here's here's video of my vanguard 2 with modified duro mud and snow tires in the water. Not fast by any means but they will defidently keep you moving

+ Reply to Thread