Swamp Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swamp Tracks

Swamp Tracks

Bought a lakefront house in Florida 2 years ago. Lake was hundreds of yards thru swamp and couldn't get to it. Spent last year clearing a trail through thick vegetation and muck so thick you'd sink in it. Got a new 2021 Argo Frontier 650 8x8 fitted with Beaver Dam tracks--they just go through anything down here in muck and the swamps...just can't get stuck no matter how hard I try or which mud bath or trail I take! Works well in lake too. Only way I can get to my lake--the bass, snakes, gators, and coyotes are not impressed....I go everywhere!
    For me, Priceless!!!
    Attached Images

looks fun, a few questions for all
    What was your track cost for a frontier 8x8 with 10”wide tires?
    What thickness/ply and width are belts?
    Is it full steel, full plastic, or hybrid, and what type of plastic (uhmw?), plastic thickness? UV-stabilized plastic?
    I helped a gentleman up here who had a set of those and who had broken a couple grousers. So I am curious what the current specs are on those tracks.
    Also, if I was you, I would consider orienting your middle tires to the “swim” position when in track mode (reversble rims). It may require swapping from left to right. And lower your air pressure on middle tires to around 1-1.5 lbs.

great news ...nothing like having a go anywhere machine . have fun !! j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Is it full steel, full plastic, or hybrid, and what type of plastic (uhmw?), plastic thickness? UV-stabilized plastic?
    I helped a gentleman up here who had a set of those and who had broken a couple grousers. So I am curious what the current specs are on those tracks.
    Also, if I was you, I would consider orienting your middle tires to the “swim” position when in track mode (reversble rims). It may require swapping from left to right. And lower your air pressure on middle tires to around 1-1.5 lbs.
    I was curious myself and just looked on the Beaver dam website.They do provide quite a bit of info on their tracks.
    Last edited by onlyonce; 04-09-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Those tracks look bad to the bone!! I would like to know how well they swim. I would love to see them run in swamp conditions. I have been around Adair tracked machines for years but I have never had the opportunity to see beaver dam tracks in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hey Buzz, good to still see you around from time to time!
    I keep my middle tires low but I did find after a couple thousand kms it does cause the sidewalls to wear faster then the corners. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind. I seem to wear my tires out before the tread does from this effect with my Escargo tracks. I've had to run tubes in the middle tires at least too cause the sidewalls are so weak. May upgrade to ITP MudLites or any other tire you might have a suggestion for price and 6 ply rating.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    Hey Buzz, good to still see you around from time to time!
    I keep my middle tires low but I did find after a couple thousand kms it does cause the sidewalls to wear faster then the corners. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind. I seem to wear my tires out before the tread does from this effect with my Escargo tracks. I've had to run tubes in the middle tires at least too cause the sidewalls are so weak. May upgrade to ITP MudLites or any other tire you might have a suggestion for price and 6 ply rating.
    Gavin
    Are you running track Tuners on your middle tires?

A couple thousand km is not too bad with track use all things considering Sparx, before you notice some sidewall wear with most tracks. *I missed the part about being worn out*. Seems a little fast for that to happen, although I have seen people destroy tires on a single trip with other track styles (moveable tire guide tips) in the wrong conditions.
    What tire model and tire size are you using with your escargo all-steel track? I know that actual tire width will play a role in how the sidewalls rub on the guides. Also, make sure your belting edges are beveled back on the tire sidewall area. Belting should sit back from the actual track guides.
    I’m not too picky on tires so long as the grouser that you make fits the tire well. Mud lites are good and a reasonable value usually. Most tires will have a best-traction direction. This can work as an advatage with tracks because the traction-mode can be used on the front tire, while the non-traction mode can be used on following axles (99% of your driving will be in the forward direction). If you slide a grouser over the tire tread, often times it will slide much easier one direction than the other. One direction will tend to hang up momentarily in the voids of the tire lug (at the peak of the chevron for example) while the other direction it will not. Most tires can slip easier in one direction than the other if you choose to leave middle tires driving (no track tuners). Track grouser width and shape can also affect how smoothly the tire treads can slip. Narrower grousers and especially square-edged grousers are harder to slip on, while wider, rounded(routered) grousers are beadier to slip on (UHMW).
    Tire sidewalls always wear faster than treads when tracks are used, but elevated-belt tracks are much easier on your sidewalls, especially if you do a lot of sidehilling, carry heavy loads, or need to drive through ruts, rocks, and/or tussocks
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-14-2021 at 04:09 AM.

I’ll start by apologizing for hijacking the thread a bit, but you’ll see why.

[QUOTE=onlyonce;237716]I was curious myself and just looked on the Beaver dam website.They do provide quite a bit of info on their tracks.[/QUOTE

True, but everyone’s website or dealer description always looks and sounds fantastic. I always ask, “compared to what” after I read them most times. Many are conveniently vague and usually don’t answer this “compared to what” question.
    This is why I want to know what type of plastic Beaver Dam Argo tracks use (or anyone for that matter). One fellow had steel plate bolted on either side of a couple grousers (to splint broken grousers). I included a pic of one of these broken beaver dam track grousers that I am curious about. I have seen broken tire guides countless times on Argo factory rubber tracks/torn factory rubber track hinges, broken Adair grousers/tire guides (w/sheared screws), broken beaver dam grousers, bent and broken steel bar channel grousers, and badly bent (but not broken) Escargo steel grousers.
    I have yet to see anyone break a proper monolithic-style uhmw grousers, I think simply because there are no thin spots that have been machined away and put back together and no windows/pockets machined into the grouser that leave less material to bolt through. Thick (1-1/2”), solid UHMW in all directions, full thickness through bolts. After all you are only as strong/dependable as your weakest link. Many folks and many conditions might not require this level of durability. Nothing is perfect mind you, and I always say, “any track is better than no track in many conditions.”. It’s the other conditions where comparisons become more important.
    These Pics are of a beaver dam hybrid track in Alaska. Not trying to be mean, just honest.
    Again, Apologies for hijacking. And can I just say the auto-correct spelling is horrible in the posting window��
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-14-2021 at 04:10 AM.

Buzz, I truly appreciate your input, but I would really like to see some pictures of what you consider an optimal design. I am always ready to try something better if it works better. Pictures please?

+ Reply to Thread