I miss Mike

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I miss Mike

I miss Mike

Remembering the glory days. 40 new threads, tons of responses, cool pics in the gallery... old moderator ran a tight ship and people wanted to be on board... interest is down. how do we bring it back??
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Remembering the glory days. 40 new threads, tons of responses, cool pics in the gallery... old moderator ran a tight ship and people wanted to be on board... interest is down. how do we bring it back??

I think we all miss Mike. Believe the only cure is interaction by others, Mike generally led the responses which intern spurred on others so it now must be carried on by members directly according to Bob's early responses. Johnboy has been at the ready at this time.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

thank you jim for that compliment ... when you love this sport and the machines we have like many of us do, this site is the only way to connect regularly for me and encourage fellow members ideas ,what they know and have discovered regarding riding , building , modifying etc. and sharing their riding experiences ( good and bad ) . i understand at some point peoples interest goes to other things and people get older , etc. i for one need to respond to new members post more often with a kind word and interest in their enthusiasm for joining the site . it was awfully hard to miss joining all the regulars at busco this april !! hope we can make up for it in october . j.b.

I saw this thread and had to chime in. When Mike ran the site, it was GREAT! That's when AATVs were in the prime (post 1970's when the original AATV boom occurred). I'll add a little bit of history and some stories to this topic as well.

Mike and I originally met when we were talking about AATVs on Myspace.com. Then one day when I was in class during one of my last semesters of college I got an email from Mike saying that he was starting a 6 wheeler website called 6X6World.com. I was absolutely thrilled that a new website for AATVs was up and running instead of that "other" one that sold overpriced parts and deleted messages on their message board when they didn't like the people that posted them. I knew from day 1 that 6x6World was going to grow to overshadow that "other" site and become the biggest and best site on the Internet. I started spreading the word to all of my friends, and everyone jumped on board. More and more people got on board and not long after Mike started the site, it did in fact became the biggest and best AATV site on the Internet. I met so many great new friends on here too. The friends, the stories, the rides, repairs, builds, races, parts bought, sold, traded and transported, the tech support, and good times were some of the best years of my life. Mike and Whipper and Bridget and the Fischer's even got AATV racing back up and running at Pine Lake after a decades long hiatus. This group of people that helped revive the sport are like family to me and I will always be grateful to have met them even though we don't see each other as much as we used to.

There are so many great stories I'd love to share about what we did on the site and at the rides, races, etc. Let's take a trip down memory lane and share some of them with everyone! Please, all of the folks that have been here on 6x6World from way back when, please chime in. Let's hear some good ones!!!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    I saw this thread and had to chime in. When Mike ran the site, it was GREAT! That's when AATVs were in the prime (post 1970's when the original AATV boom occurred). I'll add a little bit of history and some stories to this topic as well.

Mike and I originally met when we were talking about AATVs on Myspace.com. Then one day when I was in class during one of my last semesters of college I got an email from Mike saying that he was starting a 6 wheeler website called 6X6World.com. I was absolutely thrilled that a new website for AATVs was up and running instead of that "other" one that sold overpriced parts and deleted messages on their message board when they didn't like the people that posted them. I knew from day 1 that 6x6World was going to grow to overshadow that "other" site and become the biggest and best site on the Internet. I started spreading the word to all of my friends, and everyone jumped on board. More and more people got on board and not long after Mike started the site, it did in fact became the biggest and best AATV site on the Internet. I met so many great new friends on here too. The friends, the stories, the rides, repairs, builds, races, parts bought, sold, traded and transported, the tech support, and good times were some of the best years of my life. Mike and Whipper and Bridget and the Fischer's even got AATV racing back up and running at Pine Lake after a decades long hiatus. This group of people that helped revive the sport are like family to me and I will always be grateful to have met them even though we don't see each other as much as we used to.

There are so many great stories I'd love to share about what we did on the site and at the rides, races, etc. Let's take a trip down memory lane and share some of them with everyone! Please, all of the folks that have been here on 6x6World from way back when, please chime in. Let's hear some good ones!!!
    I didn't know the Myspace part of it before. I ran in to Whipper from the other site and was pointed to here around 2007? I remember finding Pine Lake on Google Earth and hinting at (wonder if we could run at the track again?) in a post. Things were pretty intense maybe 2007-13ish it seemed. Now that we're down a manufacturer of smaller, cheaper machines and parts are getting a little trickier to find ( looking for alternatives for Goodyear Compass knobbies for racing and not as many cheap old bodies around), I wonder if we'll get back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post

Good to see you stop in, figured you may have been lurking occasionally. You were a large part of the reply conversations for a long time.

Hope all is well.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Unfortunately in my opinion we are overshadowed by the side by side craze. I’m kind of alone on an island here in my area due to the extensive trail systems and it being legal to run all roads except for state highways with an ATV. Not sure how to bring back interest. In the ten years I’ve been on here it’s been a very knowledgeable rather small group. More members and more interest would be great however the smallness of the group makes it more personal too. I felt like I new many members before I even met them in person at Ashtabula. Not sure how to get more members but maybe some new shirts and bumper stickers would at least boost morale.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I have owned three wheelers, quads, a Yamaha Rhino sidexside, a Jigger, which I should have kept as a project, and two Argos. One was an early 80s, and my current 91 Vanguard. All were fun, exasperating, expensive, mindboggling pieces of pure enjoyment. Most ,probably all if I we truly honest, we're bought for something to either work on or thought I needed it. The side x side was nice that you could go most places a quad can go but had a steering wheel and foot controls, roll cage, and a place to carry stuff. It got used as a small pickup for the yard work, carried hunting gear etc. at a reasonable speed. It also let a couple sit side by side as opposed to quad seating. The bigger units can carry four or maybe five people. I have returned to the Argo because I am pushing 70, I don't need to go fast, like working on them, it suits my style of hunting and I can go places that the quads can't. I don't need a trail cause I can make my own. Younger people, guys and gals, can probably get into atvs lot cheaper than aatvs. Less maintainence, cheaper to repair, usually and they go a lot faster,. In our area, I know of2 Argos maybe three, and I live an hour from the factory. Also run in the same situation of very few places to ride. The quad riders have peeved off so many land owners that the trails have been shutdown.So far, I still have a place that I can use the Argo. Also, when was the last time you saw an ad for an Argo on a TV broadcast? I don't have broadcast TV anymore so don't know about ads for Argo but utube has tons of Canam and Polaris and Honda ads.

That’s a very good point. There is a lack of advertising. It was the small ad in the back of the outdoor magazines that got me into this 20 years ago.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Where did Mike go?

+ Reply to Thread