Exhaust smell and/or heat

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust smell and/or heat

Exhaust smell and/or heat

With the switch to left hand drive on the newer Argo but still having the exhaust on the left I was wondering if there is any notice of the exhaust while you are operating it and if so has anyone modified their vehicle to route the exhaust to the right side? Thanks for your response.

I think the down side of the front engine is that the exhaust is on occasion going to come back on you. Even my 2015 Frontier 8x8 with the controls on the right side, makes me feel light-headed. When my wife drives and I'm on the left side, I feel even worse and noted that my clothing smells of engine exhaust. I think Argo should take a look at their product design and address this. What company wants to poison it's customers?

During the warmer seasons the heat gets on up there, and I don't ride when conditions get beyond 80 degrees f. If you live further north, probably not as noticeable.

I wish Argo would go with a mid or rear engine design, which would not only fix the exhaust smell, but would also address the heat issue.

Thanks Noel, I appreciate your input and I agree 100% on the advantages of a mid or rear engine design, maybe somewhere down the line they will switch over to a better engine location, if it was in the rear I imagine you would feel less vibration from the engine also.

you can try mounting a fan in the engine compartment to help push the fumes further from the vehicle. I mounted two computer fans mainly to push heat out of the engine compartment but the side benefit is it pushes air fairly strong away from the vehicle. I had to switch to atv radiator fans as the others cooked and these work even better. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    you can try mounting a fan in the engine compartment to help push the fumes further from the vehicle. I mounted two computer fans mainly to push heat out of the engine compartment but the side benefit is it pushes air fairly strong away from the vehicle. I had to switch to atv radiator fans as the others cooked and these work even better. just a thought.

It all helps, my Aurora 950 has a massive fan that pulls air out of the engine compartment and keeps that space cool, but I still sit on the left side and the exhaust is on the left side. I must say these new fuel injected engines burn a lot cleaner but I still smell the exhaust. Roger S (RIP) solved this problem years ago on his Argo by running the tail pipe along the side to the back of his machine. He some how insulated the pipe so heat wasn't a issue. The extra pipe did not seem to effect the performance of the machine.

Thanks trevorakm1 and mightymaxIV, I appreciate your input, you are confirming what I initially thought when I saw that Argo switched the driving position to the left hand side but left the engine exhaust on the left also.

Hello, I mounted an Atwood bilge fan in my motor compartment, pushes a lot of heat as well as pushes exhaust gases away from the machine. Simple solution to cool engine a bit and benefits pushing exhaust gas. I’ll try an attach a pic. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/asset...4&d=1620593840

Thanks Grizzly10, appreciate the info.

I did build what is called an annular fan a few years back. It was for a custom machine that had the exhaust blow out via a channel in the metal body of the machine, out to the right rear. Initially the 6x6 just had a pipe within a pipe concept, but due to the heat radiating in I made the modification. All it was, is a bilge blower like Grizzly10 mentioned. It ran via plastic pipe to an adapter, then from there the air flowed inside the outside pipe and cooled the inner pipe substantially. The air flow was pretty high. Here is the machine:

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't think to photo the way it went through the body before it was assembled. The pipe within a pipe started inside the right side fender assembly.

I didn't think about it, but due to the volume of air it blew, I think it would work on the Argo side mounted pipe as well. It would just take some rigging and fitting in what is already a confined space, but it could be done. That extra flow of air may be enough to take the exhaust gas out far enough away from the passenger compartment, that it might work.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 05-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Your welcome Marauder, The fan draws only 3.1amps and you can add an inline mini fuse which would be 4 amps. I added a cooling fan labeled switch on the dash in the factory square slots. Hope this helps you guys out. Fan blows 145cfm. I didn’t notice any voltage drop at idle that would be concerning draining the battery, being these buggy’s mostly charge at higher Rpm. Seems like a simple solution. Can always paint the fan black and put an Argo sticker on it for Coolness too. Lol

+ Reply to Thread