Engine swap?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine swap?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.

Engine swap?

I currenly have a 91 Vanguard with the Briggs 16 hp opposed engine. I also have just come into possession of a 18 hp Kohler CH18S. What are the thoughts on an engine swap. I would have to find a clutch as the Briggs is a screw on style. Would the difference in hp be worth the hassle and expense? I would like a bit more power or should I maybe hold out for an engine of the 20 to 25 hp range. I have a set of super tracks that really taxes the engine. I also wonder if too many ponies in that machine would tear every thing apart. I am not in a financial position to throw away good money after bad, if you know what I am saying. Finding used parts in my area, like a clutch could be next to impossible. Are there still people looking for opposed twins for their machines? Lot's of questions. This site is excellent for opinion and advice. I do have the tools, knowledge, and area to perform a transplant. The machine is used for hunting in the fall and winter as there are no places to just ride it anymore.

I would look for a larger motor. My local Harbor Freight had a 22 hp Predator for $899.00, I considered buying it and keeping it in reserve but didn't have the room for it.
    Something in the 20-25hp range is nearly perfect for the size machine you have. Tracks really take power especially when turning so the more power the better. More power will make apparent any deficiencies in chains and bearings though. Driven conservatively you can get the maximum longevity out of all those misc. parts. Before going into the motor conversion it would be wise to take a hard look at the chains and bearings and possibly the axles as well. Clutches aren't cheap either. Sometimes its more economical to purchase something like a used Max2 and take the engine and clutch for the transplant.

do the B&S 16 have the restrictions in the exhaust ports like the 18hp does. If so could pull thode out and get a tiny bump in hp.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    do the B&S 16 have the restrictions in the exhaust ports like the 18hp does. If so could pull thode out and get a tiny bump in hp.
    Yes

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I took the advice of the forum and waited till I found a 23 hp Vanguard. In Canada a new one runs around the 3 grand. I picked this one up for $150 because the the guy who had it didn't seem to know much about engines and couldn't wait to have this one repaired. He was a farmer that needed his skid steer right away. Turns out it needs a head gasket. Compression on the good side 170 psi and 140 on the bad side with the blown head gasket. What my question is ....What clutch is a good one to look for? An original Argo clutch is around the $800 dollar mark(Canada) so I am wondering about aftermarket clutches. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    I took the advice of the forum and waited till I found a 23 hp Vanguard. In Canada a new one runs around the 3 grand. I picked this one up for $150 because the the guy who had it didn't seem to know much about engines and couldn't wait to have this one repaired. He was a farmer that needed his skid steer right away. Turns out it needs a head gasket. Compression on the good side 170 psi and 140 on the bad side with the blown head gasket. What my question is ....What clutch is a good one to look for? An original Argo clutch is around the $800 dollar mark(Canada) so I am wondering about aftermarket clutches. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clutches for Argo's are pretty particular. Most have had a lot of work done to adapt them to an Argo model. I would be very hesitant to use something that wasn't engineered for an Argo. I am not a clutch expert I simply know how fussy they can be. I would at least try to find an Argo clutch on the market, contact a dealer or two and see if they have a used one sitting around, trying something different might waste your time and cost you money.

Thankyou. I have located a powerbloc clutch for an Argo. What I have read about these clutches is that you can change the weights to engage at a lower or higher RPM. As far as wearing it out or abusing it, I'm 68 years old and don't like having to repair things because of stupidity on my part. Brand new old stock. $275. cash. Argo dealer in my area has the area sewn up and are quite expensive for ANYTHING, also the Cat dealer and they have three Sherp models on the lot. Don't seem to care if you buy from them or not. Example of price....Artic Cat 700 Diesel fuel filter$98.00. It is a shame about Argo parts, as I live about an hour from the Argo factory in New Hamburg Ont.

Glad you found a clutch at a reasonable price.

Glad it was reasonable.......had to pull the crankshaft out of the engine and turn a 1/8 th of an inch off and rekey it. Only clutch I could find locally and in my price range had a 1" bore. Easier to turn the shaft than bore and rekey the clutch. I have a friend who has a machine shop who says " there's the lathe. Don't bother me. I'm counting parts". I didn't mind pulling the engine apart as it gave a chance to check out the innards. Every thing looks good. Hopefully get it back together tomorrow. Got a severe case of gout in my elbow and wrist of all places. Running the lathe and mill almost one handed was tricky but doable. Really enjoy running a lathe.

+ Reply to Thread