Solenoid/Starter issues Vanguard 18HP

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solenoid/Starter issues Vanguard 18HP

Solenoid/Starter issues Vanguard 18HP

Is it possible for a bad starter to fry solenoids? I started my 97 Max IV and it ran great. After turning it off I couldn't restart the engine with the electric start but it started fine off the pull cord. I tested the solenoid and had 12v on the small post when I turned the key to start but not on the starter side of the solenoid. I had the multimeter red probe on the small post and the black probe on the solenoid ground so I believe I don't have a grounding problem. I jumped the starter from the battery directly and it worked. I installed the new solenoid but left the cable to the starter off. The solenoid worked perfectly, I had power on the second post and heard it clicking as it should. I hooked the power cable to the starter thinking everything was fine. When I went to start the engine I heard the solenoid click and the starter make a sound but it wouldn't turn the engine over. Now the new solenoid is dead and I am wondering if something in the starter could be causing the solenoid to burn up even though I can jump the starter and make it work.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Can't say that I have run across that particular situation. I have had new solenoids bad right out of the box. It sounds like a bad battery but you can jump start from the battery. Also sounds like a bad connection, but also the starter cold be drawing heavy. Rediculus as it may seem , what I would do, is try a new battery, or at least a fully charged different battery or a jumper pack. Then check all connections, try a new solenoid, and get the starter checked out or replace the starter. Hopefully you can borrow a starter, solenoid, and battery to try these things out. Bypass the start switch to eliminate that end of it. If you eliminate one thing at a time, and putting back a part that is working , you will PROBABLY figure it out. Doesn't sound like a switch but its electrical. You could chase that for days. Let us know what you find out.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Also it could be a bad ground. That will really throw you a curve ball. I think that is where I start now that I have mulled it over. Make sure of the ground and go from there.

I have a 3 post solenoid that grounds through the base. Could I use a 4 post solenoid and run the solenoid ground wire back to the negative on the battery direct to take a ground issue out of the equation?

You could or you could run a jumper cable from one of your solenoid mount bolts to a known ground .

Finally got it! I used a 4 post solenoid and ran a ground wire from the solenoid post
    back to the ground strap that connects directly to the negative battery post. I still don't know what changed to lose ground or why it would burn up more than one solenoid but I'm glad to be done with that project.

+ Reply to Thread