Electric Fuel Pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump

Electric Fuel Pump

Question: Can an Electric Fuel Pump be installed on a 2005 Avenger with a 25hp Kohler?
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

You can put an electric fuel pump on anything. I have one on a Max4 with 25hp Kohler, I also put one on an old tractor, and on a old Land Rover.

On the air cooled machines in an amphibious atv, or lawn tractor, or something similar, you have to be careful and only use a low psi pump in the 2-5 psi range. Anything more and you'll probably have a fire under hood, like a friend of mine did in his Max2 which burned completely.

These pumps can be bought for around $20 or so. I also like to rig up a marine style primer bulb on the fuel line that I can reach while driving. That way in case the pump fails, you can just hit the primer bulb and continue going.

Hi Noel, I just ordered a low pressure fuel pump for my 2021 Argo. She don’t like hills. I beleive I’m losing pressure. So I think the fuel pump will fix this. $12 on Amazon. Looking forward to fixing this problem. If it fixes it I’ll have a spare with some quick connects under the seat as a spare.

Noel & Grizzly10 - The problem I'm having is on hills. Hopefully, a new electric pump can cure it. It's a water-cooled engine.
    Thanks.
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

Coffinman I will let you know my results once I install. I have a hill it craps n bogs on everytime. I’ll know if it fixes it.

The small engines, either air cooled or water cooled are designed to operate with a low pressure fuel pump. The high pressure pumps will cause the problems I mentioned earlier.

A benefit of the electric fuel pump, in addition to not starving the engine, is that cold weather starting is much easier, and I have found that no choke is necessary but only on the coldest days.

Noel, what are your thoughts on leaving the vacuum fuel pump on motor thats on the 18hp vanguard and just adding the inline low pressure electric pump to kind of assist the vacuum pump? Think that would be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by coffinman View Post
    Noel & Grizzly10 - The problem I'm having is on hills. Hopefully, a new electric pump can cure it. It's a water-cooled engine.
    Thanks.
    Be sure to bypass your current pump, kohler fuel pump in va!ve cover will fill crankcase when failing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

agreed, just leave fuel line stub outs on the diaphragm pump and cap them. Bypass it all together but leave it on the valve cover as a back up (just have extra fuel hose/fittings ect to reconnect later if wanted. It may or may not be usable in the future). The new electric pump is simply another way to keep the carburetor’s bowl full of fuel, just more reliably. The carb should otherwise work the same (starting/running) as with any other fuel delivery method (that is working properly) as long as everything else on the engine is working properly. The electric pump mounted near the fuel tank can push fuel much more effectively than a diaphragm pump mounted on the engine can suck/bring fuel to itself first, especially if working against gravity on steep hills. What you do not want to do is overpower the inlet needle that should otherwise seal off new flow of gasoline when the float rises once the bowl is full. As others have stated, overflowing a carb can be bad. I have had to drive home using a marine primer bulb as a fail safe as others have mentioned, and although it was annoying, it wasn’t really too bad, all things considered. Standard issue in the toolbox for any carbureted Argo, Mudd-Ox headed into the bush.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-13-2021 at 01:14 AM.

Good information guys. Stuff I did not know.

+ Reply to Thread