Belt Change

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Belt Change

Belt Change

Is there anyone else who has problems changing the drive-belt on an Argo? Today was the second time I've installed a new belt. The first time was right after I bought it in 2014. It was nine years old, and I thought I'd better swap it out, whether it needed it, or not. What a nightmare for this old body. Try as I might, I couldn't "open" the driven clutch by applying opposite force on each half...even after I got the belt off!! Same with today. I bought a new, high-dollar, heavy-duty belt from Argo Adventure because the old belt was squealing something awful during turns. It was quite embarrassing at the ATV park this past weekend.

Anyway, I got it done, and it works great. I'm thinking that after following all the directions on how to do it, There MUST be an easier way. Is it just me, or, are others finding it difficult, as well?
    "...So sayeth the Coffinman..."

I've never worked on an Argo, so I have not advice for you in that regard. But, the next time your belt is squealing, take some coarse grit sand paper and scuff the sheaves of the pulley (sand in a radial direction) and scuff the glaze off the sides of the belt. With wear and heat, these surfaces get polished and slick which lends to slippage and squealing.

Thanks for the advice! Should I sand both the driving clutch And the driven?

Yes. Sand both sheaves on both clutches. I use 80 grit. Cut a strip about an inch wide, staple it to a paint stirring stick, and it will make the job much easier.

Sorry you had problems. There is a shortcut. Look at the driven clutch and you will see an unused bolt hole on the faceplate. Insert that bolt and tighten it slightly, that will open up the sheaves enough to remove the belt and put the new one on, then take the bolt out and the sheaves will close.
    I know I can get my done in less than five minutes and it is a clean job. Sorry but I can't recall the bolt size off the top of my head.
    I know there are some videos on youtube that show it all.

Thank you both for your input! Best regards!

as noel woods said use a bolt to open up the clutch.you can buy the tool from any snowmibile parts dealer.i bought mine from royal distributing here in barrie,on.

or this https://www.argoadventure.com/AA6052...E_p_18181.html

looks the same as the one i bought.

Great idea on the bolt "spreader," but, as it turns out, I don't have the Invance driven clutch which are on the 2008 and newer. Mine's a 2005.

While it's fresh try this it you like.
    Remove the belt you just fought with,
    Reinstall belt from top,
    Roll till tight,
    Reach to bottom side still out and push down,
    Roll a tad till tight, push down,roll, repeat it necessary.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread