Twist throttle to brake lever throttle conversion

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twist throttle to brake lever throttle conversion

Twist throttle to brake lever throttle conversion

I converted our older Vanguard to a generic mountain bike brake lever for throttle control, as the twist throttle would leave both my wife's and my wrist hurting after just 10-15 minutes of riding.

The entire setup is DIY using parts sourced online, all in was less than $30. It works GREAT, so much better than the twist throttle; easier on the hand and wrist, easier to maintain a stead throttle, and can still keep good control of the right stick for braking/turning.

The only problem is that it lever does not have enough throw to be able to get full throttle actuation. The 16hp Vanguard has SO much throttle throw needed to achieve full throttle... It's not a huge deal as it gets maybe 85%-90% throttle, but that extra little last bit would be nice, especially for longer water crossings...

Before buying this lever, I tried a universal thumb throttle assembly, a Yamaha ATV thumb throttle assembly, and even a Yamaha ATV brake lever assembly, but they all had the same issue (actually worse) and wouldn't achieve anywhere near full throttle.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a specific hand lever that CAN get a full throttle actuation on the Vanguard engine?

Thanks!

I have a similar throttle on my Super Swamp Fox Diesel. I experimented with cable length as I had the same issue you have. I visited with a local motorcycle shop and watched how they made custom throttles and learned how to make my own ends with a soldering gun. Once you know the length you need that works you can buy extras and solder the end up as I mentioned.

In the process I ended up with some extra cables that I keep as backup.

The cable seems to be a good length. It's the actuation distance of the cable that's keeping me from getting full throttle. I either need a brake lever that will pull the cable farther when pulled, or attached the cable to the throttle mechanism on the engine to get more leverage when the cable is pulled.

I went through just what you did, thumb throttle and all. Same issue on the cable pull. I bought the brake lever on ebay. I started looking at all available and noticed angular differences amongst the brake levers. I bought a second lever slightly different geometry and got lucky get full throttle.
    the brake lever definately gives better throttle control and helps smooth the ride during bouncy areas of trails. also helps new drivers manage the throttle and brakes easier. My argo had the motorcycle throttle on the left when I bought it. made some sense as you are always pushing foward on the bars driving but the brake lever is much better.
    Last edited by trevorakm1; 05-17-2021 at 03:43 PM.

I had just suggested a shorter or straighter lever elsewhere

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I went with the bmx two finger brake lever. so uch more comfortable and never get fatigue in my hand.

If you can't get full throttle control with the lever, you have two possible DIY options. Either relocate where the hand lever pivots, for a longer arc, or the easier route, drill a new hole on the throttle lever on the carb where the cable attaches closer to the pivot point. On the carb you don't need to move the hole far from where it is because movement will amplify quite a bit as you get closer to the pivot pint.

i too had the same problem not getting full throttle on my 21 h.p. vanguard ...even with all the slack taken up in the cable. i did two things that solved it. bolted a small piece of flatbar on the round circle thing that the cable attatched to on the carb. about a 1 1/2'' long piece at an angle and attatched the cable to the end of that so i got more '' throw '' distance . also took the hand lever off and ground some off the pivot end so the lever opened up more from the handle , thereby pulling the cable farther . hope this is understandable . johnboy va.

Ended up getting it sorted out. I simply drilled and tapped a new mounting hole just beside the other. Works great now! Uses the full throttle sweep

so nice that guys share all the different ways to tackle a problem ..... great solution , thanks . johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread