Brakes heated up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brakes heated up

Brakes heated up

I am new to the Argo Frontier S 8x8, been having fun learning what I can and can't do while building up my confidence to get into some real trouble. The other day I was pulling a trailer, on the straightaway it pulled fine with no issues. I was doing a lot of turning and I smelled something hot. ended up my braking system was heated and I wasn't getting much braking for turning. My hand brake also was very spongy even dead. I stopped and let it idle to help the fan cool it down. disconnected the trailer. wont be doing that again.
    after it cooled down the brakes came back to get me home.

I removed the brakes and they looked good not glazed, Calipers aren't leaking. Any idea why the loss of braking? fluid got to hot? I ordered new seals and fluid and pads to just repair it anyhow. I am thinking the Orings may have gotten to warm.
    Anyone else have this type of issue?

Thanks for any insight.

Could the pads be dragging a little and in need of adjustment? Or perhaps the brake fan hose is disconnected? I'm just taking a swing in the dark though. The only time I ever had an issue with braking was when my fan was no longer pushing air over my brakes, but I don't see the kind of heat up my way that those of you South of the border do.

Keep us in the loop if you end up discovering the issue/solution.

Does it have a brake fan?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yes it has a fan and working correctly. Just now going to take it apart. Work got in the way of playing.

Are you using Dot5 brake fluid?

Can't say for sure what was in it when I bought it, but I just pulled the calipers out, cleaned everything dumped out the old fluid and replaced the seals and pads and new Dot 5 fluid. I didn't touch the master cylinder seals as of yet. Bleeding them is not fun. I have bleed brakes on every make of aircraft and many cars and never seen such a simple tiny system be so hard to get bleed. I tried the old compress the pedal sort of speak style while opening the bleeder screw with not ideal results, ran a hose from the bleeder right back into the master cylinder, tried a vacuum pump system and also a hose from the bleeder into a bottle. almost think the master cylinders may need rebuilt. going to try to fill a pump style oil can and pressure bleed next like we did on small GA aircraft.
    I drove it and it turned good but the hand brake doesn't do much. shouldn't have to adjust anything since prior to me working it to hard it worked perfectly. And now work has me doing double shifts already. At least I had part of a day off.
    I seen once the brakes were removed that someone had them apart before, the emergency/parking brake had a chip out of the pad. It fell out as soon as I removed the caliper. replaced it and the E brake works just fine. but that's a mechanical linkage.
    I still have not found the smoking gun, no leaks and everything looked fine pads and disc all good. I may have just turned too much while pulling.

you don't have a mouse nest clog in the brake fan dut possibly? can you feel the air if fan on and hand near the boot end of the duct? I ve had them in atv air boxes before.

When mine acted up, the quick connect on the wiring to the fan had come apart. Is your connection solid?

+ Reply to Thread