Ignition shut off not working??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ignition shut off not working??

Ignition shut off not working??

Any ideas or a wiring diagram please?

not sure what engine you have , but i had the same problem on my 21 h.p. briggs vanguard . it was simply the ground wire that attached to the engine had come off . j.b.

where are the ground wires located on most B&S motors or on the 23 to be exact?

there is a stud coming out of the flywheel shroud above the starter. this is the kill wire.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

and where does that go to for ground. I installed a 23 hp a few years back and have this issue. there was a wire at the front of the motor but had no idea what to do with it. I never attached to anything and when I turn the key off the motor keeeps running but the flow to the carb shuts off then I wait for the fuel to run dry in carb and engine quits. I've suspected this to be the issue but again don't know how to attach for gound. I recently pulled the ignition harness to examine but it's just a plug set up so I got no where.
    so what do I do with that wire on the front of the motor above the starter? I thinks it has a female coupler on it and that's what threw me.
    Last edited by trevorakm1; 06-04-2021 at 11:23 AM.

okay, so it has been shutting off via the anti-backfire solenoid in the carb, but now isn't? that tells me the needle in the solenoid is stuck open. i usually cut the needle off so no issue there. from the stud on the motor if you were to jump it to ground it would kill the ignition coils. there should be a wire in your harness that goes to the ignition switch, and another from the switch to ground as your kill circuit. you mentioned a plug... if you have a meter check for contunity from that plug to ground. In if has contunity to ground with the ignition off, and doesn't with the ignition on then that is your kill wire. you would need to replace the plug with a ring terminal and hook it to that stud
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

nothing has changed since the install of the motor. It has always shut down by fuel starvation when I turn the key to off. motor has run fine all along and the battery charges as I get 12 volts on the volt meter on the dash. Never had any other ellectrical issue other than the shut down as described. been watching youtube vids since you answered but no luck yet.
    always starts fine, runs fine, charges the battery fine but won't shut off when switch turned to off just when the fuel runs out.
    I appreciate the help.
    And I apologize for high jacking the thread.

maybe there is a wire missing from that plug at the front of the engine, the kill portion of that plug needs to be wired up to the ignition key harness? I went from a factory installed 18 hp B&S to the 23hp and hoped I got all the wires connected correctly.

so the wire is connected to the ignition and I beleive I ran the wire. so maybe I ran it to the wrong connector at the ignition switch. could it be connected to one of the connectors incorrectly and get the situation I'm in now. I haven't pulled the ignition from under the dash yet. Am I correct that the kill wire on the motor has to run to the correct spot on the ignition ?

This is the only draw back to my work on the machine.

if finding the ground hookup on the switch seems hard .. i guess you could run a wire from the ground stud on the motor to a on - off toggle switch mounted on the dash ..then from the switch a wire to the frame or other grounding point ? did you find the stud on the motor and hook a wire to it , start the motor , then ground that wire ...and did it kill the motor ? j.b.

+ Reply to Thread