Ignition shut off not working??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ignition shut off not working??

We figured out that my ignition switch is bad,,waiting on a new one from Argo Adventures. We tried to ground out the stud above the starter and that did nothing. If I put downward pressure on the key, my gauges light up which is a first.

interesting thanks for getting back to this thread.

Changed the switch, gauges work now but still doesn't kill the engine when I turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK55FLA View Post
    Changed the switch, gauges work now but still doesn't kill the engine when I turn it off.
    So if you have tried grounding the stud, coming out from the right hand side of engine looking at it, to a good ground and nothing happens, I would assume the diode wire has gone bad. That would involve removing the shroud for access.
    This is assuming you are working on a B&S.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yes 23 hp B&S

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    So if you have tried grounding the stud, coming out from the right hand side of engine looking at it, to a good ground and nothing happens, I would assume the diode wire has gone bad. That would involve removing the shroud for access.
    This is assuming you are working on a B&S.
    Typically if the diode goes bad it kills spark to one cylinder (rear one). perhaps the diode wire is MIA or at minimum not hooked to the ground stud inside the flywheel cover
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    Typically if the diode goes bad it kills spark to one cylinder (rear one). perhaps the diode wire is MIA or at minimum not hooked to the ground stud inside the flywheel cover
    I will pull the rear plug and check for spark. As slow as this thing is, it would make sense if there is no spark and only running on 1 cyl.

Any advice on removing the rubber thing between the motor and the side air inlet??

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    What I would do is pull the shroud off and make sure that the wires to both coils are hooked up and if so check the diode in the kill wire, utube has tutorials on all this stuff, then you will know what wire should go to ground. Then using a test light, determine which wire to your ignition switch goes to ground when the key is in the off position. The black wire from your coils hooks into that wire. Be aware that if you feed 12 volts into that black wire you may fry your coils, or diode. Not 100% sure on that, but read that somewhere. Just make sure the black wire from the coils goes to ground. A real pain in the butt, but may solve your problem.

we spent the morning trying to get the air funnel off and out of the way,,ended up cutting it in half so I could get the engine shroud off. Found both the ground wire and the plug wire had been chewed in half and the coil has gnaw marks on it. It has only been running on 1 cyl that's why it's such a Dog! The only coils I can find are for an Intek 16-22 hp I hope they interchange?? Local shop wants $60 per coil.

It boggles my mind how Argo can still be in business and Max is gone. Argo is a complete mechanical nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread