Argo Aurora Issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo Aurora Issues

Argo Aurora Issues

I have a 2019 Aurora with 50 hours and the Kohler engine (first year Aurora). I have had a few quality control issues that have left me walking a couple times. I figured I would throw them out here for others to check on their machines to avoid similar problems. I am also interested if there are any common problems others have experienced that I should be looking for.

Issues:

1. The machine was not wired correctly from the factory and the alternator was not charging the battery. I believe the machine was missing some type of module (according to the dealer).
    2. The speedometer/hour meter cable is WAY longer than it needs to be and was not zip tied up properly. The cable rubbed on the right side brake rotor and was worn through. This resulted in the speedometer not working.
    3. My machine developed a vapor lock after a long uphill and down hill run. The issue ended up being a defective fuel back flow valve. The dealer had me remove the valve. It is located on the upper back of the engine compartment.
    4. My speedometer quit working a second time. After looking around I found that the front right axle bolt worked itself loose and was laying in the bottom of the tub with the speedometer sprocket.
    5. I lost left hand steering on the machine. This was because the steering brake line is way longer than it needs to be. It wiggled its way loose from a zip tie and began rubbing on the clutch.

I like the machine but I just want to be done with these quality control type issues. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

That is seriously ridiculous you have had that experience! I hope things go better now!

Quote Originally Posted by Njf View Post
    I have a 2019 Aurora with 50 hours and the Kohler engine (first year Aurora). I have had a few quality control issues that have left me walking a couple times. I figured I would throw them out here for others to check on their machines to avoid similar problems. I am also interested if there are any common problems others have experienced that I should be looking for.

Issues:

1. The machine was not wired correctly from the factory and the alternator was not charging the battery. I believe the machine was missing some type of module (according to the dealer).
    2. The speedometer/hour meter cable is WAY longer than it needs to be and was not zip tied up properly. The cable rubbed on the right side brake rotor and was worn through. This resulted in the speedometer not working.
    3. My machine developed a vapor lock after a long uphill and down hill run. The issue ended up being a defective fuel back flow valve. The dealer had me remove the valve. It is located on the upper back of the engine compartment.
    4. My speedometer quit working a second time. After looking around I found that the front right axle bolt worked itself loose and was laying in the bottom of the tub with the speedometer sprocket.
    5. I lost left hand steering on the machine. This was because the steering brake line is way longer than it needs to be. It wiggled its way loose from a zip tie and began rubbing on the clutch.

I like the machine but I just want to be done with these quality control type issues. Is there anything else I should be looking for?
    I have had a few issues with my machine (Argo 950 SX), the first time I took it out with my son and two grandchildren the throttle stuck and would not drop below 2200 RPM. (it ruined my middle sons day view of the Argo). Had to take everything apart when I got home to fix a simple linkage problem but it took a lot of tools and time to find the issue. Another time I was pulling out a side by side, when I put the machine in low range it would not go into gear. Another simple adjustment but it took a time to figure out what was going wrong. I ordered the machine with the new mud tires that Argo claims swim 3 MPH. They don't and I was very disappointed with their poor swim speed. After I read your post I went out and checked my machine and sure enough there are several lines held out of the way by plastic ties that will sooner or later will break or come loose and leave those lines exposed to moving parts (really bad for a machine you want to trust in the bush or swamp). Because of these issues I always try to run with other machines and at this point I still don't have full confidence to run in some of the swamp areas without another Argo present.

Guess I need to check a few things on the Huntmaster 850.
    I had a wheel loosen and come out of the track, but that was on me.
    I also noticed that it does not hit close to 3mph on water.
    Barely does that with a 6HP Suzuki on it.
    Now 6HP is a kicker for the boat.

I want to give thanks to Njf. for this post. Because he had these problems it has helped me to avoid possible future problems. When I finally got a little time to work on my machine I took out the fire wall and installed a Timken Extreme Performance drive belt (part UXP495 exclusively developed for the Argo) I borrowed a 6mm bolt off the valve cover of the Briggs engine and used it to spread the rear clutch, the belt walked off with out an issue (super easy) and the new Timken belt went right on. While I was down there I secured the brake lines with extra ties and adjusted my emergency brake.

My machine has made a squeaking noise coming out of the steering brake area since it was new. While I was adjusting every thing I noticed a couple of grease fittings on the the steering brakes ( I had never seen them before) I shot a little grease into these two fittings and sure the squeaking went away. Hummmmm?

When I bought this machine I paid extra money to have a back seat installed, after running the machine in several situations I discovered that the seat was more of a handicap then a help. I made it harder to clean out the back end, it made entry into the back area difficult, it made access to my tow strap and tools more difficult, it was harder to rock the machine from the back and throw your weight around in mud holes. The back seat also rattled and made noise that left me thinking there were issues other than a loud rattling seat. I took the back seat out and installed the regular Argo side seats. Nice! More room in the back, easier to carry stuff you might need on the trail etc. Some folks might like the back seat but for me it was a mistake having it installed.

Now for the Timken drive belt, Wow! Love it! Everything just seems to work better. The belt makes a very neat humming sound that tells you it is hooking up and cooling the engine area at the same time, and man does this belt hook up. I recommend it for all Aurora owners, simply take your old belt off and carry it under your seat as a spare in the bush.

Hope this helps other Aurora owners who might run into the sames issues.

Thank you for posting information about the squeaking in the steering brake area. This was my problem, too, on a 2022 Aurora 850 SX. All good pointers on this thread for things to check beforehand.

Hello everyone and welcome to my hell with not one but two brand new Argos. I posted about a year ago after I bought my brand new Argo frontier scout. The 2022 came mysteriously with 15kms already on it even though it was ordered from the factory. You know that brand new dip stick you may have gotten from the factory with the letter that said transmission pressuring up blah blah blah issues, well that was my fix after the transmission was flowing like river 3KMS into our first and only ride with that unit. On that glorious first and only ride we lost right hand steering twice, we lost all brakes twice, found bolts in the body, paint job was a joke and about 10 more issues found. Lost the machine for almost a full year, sued Argo and the dealer and won. New machine delivered, looked great and the dealer did a really good job with all paper work and PDI. Now the brand new 2023 has 19 hours. I did the 20 hour service and found both front outer bearing housings cracked. The transmission does not go into reverse. Yes it?s a simple clutch adjustment so I?m told so will see what they find and go from there. I would give my left arm to have my 2019 back which was bullet proof. The simple service quality control issues that Argo is having is honestly quite pathetic. I have always wanted an Argo and love what this machine can do, but the service quality has got me up at night wondering if in fact they are still the same company they where before the new CEO took over and made the changes without training his techs. Plan forward if this Argo is also faulty is HONDA

boy ...sounds like argos are'nt built that well or some just don't get assembled with attention to quality . i'm sure many have had good experiences with them . hope when the new max machines come out they have been well tested , etc . johnboy va

We now live in a world where quality control is lacking or non-existant. From different experiences I've had with ATV of different types, it appears to me the issue is with the employees lack of attention to detail when assembling the machines and the lack of any pride in the job they do. That is disappearing everywhere in this new generation of workers. Issues that NEVER should be issues that owners have to experience right out of the factory. It is really pathetic.

My experience has been on product liability issues and warranty issues to make a video and upload it to sites the offending vendors will take note of. For example: this site, the dealer's site, the manufacturers site, you-tube, etc.

That kind of publicity almost always has gotten me the resolution I was seeking. Sometimes this has happened after the warranty has actually expired If I documented the issue before the expiration.

+ Reply to Thread