Argo huntmaster 950 Half Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo huntmaster 950 Half Tracks

Argo huntmaster 950 Half Tracks

hi buzz ....boy that terrain would be a real challenge for any tracked machine ! i'm curious to hear what your conclusion was after that ride in terms of performance , etc. they sure looked like they got you thru . how did half tracks compare to full tracks you have run ? thanks , johnboy va.

Some of those holes looked bottomless. Pretty impressive with just the centers tracked

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    hi buzz ....boy that terrain would be a real challenge for any tracked machine ! i'm curious to hear what your conclusion was after that ride in terms of performance , etc. they sure looked like they got you thru . how did half tracks compare to full tracks you have run ? thanks , johnboy va.
    JB, half tracks work very well, really. You have to try pretty hard to stop them (high center or hit a floating wall in the muskeg). So far I’ve been able to back out of any of these situations (And I’m purposely trying to get stuck). I think it’s probably because they’re much wider and have more vertical surface area than typical tracks, they can get away with being shorter. The general driveability is effortless as a half track. Virtually no resistance to turning, and full machine speed (no additional gear reduction). So they bridge the gap extremely well if someone is considering going trackless, the half tracks increase your capability multiple times over (no comparison). And run-flat, swappability between axles, ect 68 lbs ea, portable, no track tuners. The full bush tracks have an advantage in the worst holes, but I am comparing full bush tracks to “half” bush tracks. A “half” bush track performs above its weight class because of it’s design, but it can be lengthened to a full track if needed/wanted down the road. I am always pleasantly surprised how they just chug right through most everything that would stick a wheeled Argo immediately. And, the half track is significantly more maneuverable and leaves less of a mark on the ground.
    As for the full bush tracks and middle tire slippage: Air down middle tires and position treads in “swim” position, while front tire is in the “non-swim” position. The rounded UHMW edges are easy on sidewalls and reduce slipping load dramatically. In fact, the terrain (if at all soft) has a much greater effect of causing the CVT to gear the machine down. The terrain is what causes the biggest drain on power (by far...swamp/snow). There are other track/grouser styles where I would advocate for tuners because of how they interact with the tire tread. But the slipping load is significantly less on the UHMW bush track grousers. Get in the swamp or snow and the slipping load virtually goes away altogether.

Now, if someone wants to travel fast because the terrain allows but still wants great performance in the water and soft stuff: enter the “half” bush track.

Very impressive video Buzz, I am missing Alaska just a little bit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Very impressive video Buzz, I am missing Alaska just a little bit right now.

If any of you guys make it up this way, give me a ring 907-354-5319. I’m sure we can drum up some adventure if you feel like playing in Argos or anything else for that matter!
    Dan, I promise I’ll have a full track w/paddles video swimming and swamp (soon). We’re planning a ride to include a polaris big boss 6x6 (tracked) most likely w/front tire wraps..like a track but wrapped around a single tire. We’ve done it in the past on ATVs w/great success

thanks so much buzz for the info . as i said before , my max 2 highboy works great with the 2 rear wheels tracked , more power , better turning and seem harder to peel off in most terrain . jboy

short video, speed test: half track on huntmaster 950 w/high torque transmission. 34 km/hr, 21 mph

https://youtu.be/66HfHxG1FZc

your tracks look pretty sweet bu.when do you start production?

Great videos and information. Thanks Buzz.

+ Reply to Thread