Is there a way to reduce vacuum to the fuel pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to reduce vacuum to the fuel pump

Is there a way to reduce vacuum to the fuel pump

Still at it... this Chaparral G50B is kicking my butt. After months of fiddling and conversations, I am at my last effort to fixing this thing. I am using a VM38 Mikuni carb. The vacuum fuel pump is overpowering the floats causing fuel to dribble out of the overflow. I either need to turn down the pressure to the pump or reduce the vacuum to the pump. I have had many conversations with Sudco and the tech thought I needed to drop the gap needle and seat to a 1.5 so I ordered one installed it and there is no change. The needle and seat hold 10psi with no leaks. Then he suggested I reduce the line size by putting a smaller line inside the bigger vacuum line so I did that and the problem is worse by far. I am thinking I need to go with bigger line. I am using 5/16 now. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

I have been through issues in the past like this. Make sure your VM38 is the one that is set up for a fuel pump and not gravity feed. if i remember right the carb that fit mine and worked correct was a Mikuni VM-38/21 (i still had to jet it to fine tune)
    I hope this helps and good luck.

if all else fails, would you consider a low pressure electronic fuel pump? set it for 2 pounds of pressure & see if you still have an issue. If you do still have the same issue, you know its not a fuel pressure issue, something must be wrong in the carb. If you don't have the issue anymore, then you could consider just bypassing the other fuel pump and leaving the electronic one on there. Those little clickity-clack pumps are pretty cheap too, right around $20-25 dollars.

Without going for a Mikuni snowmobile carb you can add a Tee to the carb fuel inlet and connect a return hose back to the tank . bring the return hose a few inches higher than the carb. Unfortunately you have to make a return port in the tank.
    Acta non verba

What vacuum pump are you using??

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett20200 View Post
    if all else fails, would you consider a low pressure electronic fuel pump? set it for 2 pounds of pressure & see if you still have an issue. If you do still have the same issue, you know its not a fuel pressure issue, something must be wrong in the carb. If you don't have the issue anymore, then you could consider just bypassing the other fuel pump and leaving the electronic one on there. Those little clickity-clack pumps are pretty cheap too, right around $20-25 dollars.
    I haven't thought about that. It's worth looking into. Do they require a return line? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by james gerber View Post
    I have been through issues in the past like this. Make sure your VM38 is the one that is set up for a fuel pump and not gravity feed. if i remember right the carb that fit mine and worked correct was a Mikuni VM-38/21 (i still had to jet it to fine tune)
    I hope this helps and good luck.
    I wondered if there was a different carb for a fuel pump application. I have been searching high and low for information on such a carb with no luck. I will have to look into that! That is great information thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Without going for a Mikuni snowmobile carb you can add a Tee to the carb fuel inlet and connect a return hose back to the tank . bring the return hose a few inches higher than the carb. Unfortunately you have to make a return port in the tank.
    That makes sense. I was toying with the idea of an adjustable fuel regulator but needed a return line for that too. I abandoned that idea because I couldn't find a leak proof fitting for the tank. With my luck, if there is such a thing, it would leak then I am screwed

Quote Originally Posted by dave phelps View Post
    What vacuum pump are you using??
    I am using a Mikuni vacuum pump. From what I understand, they don't produce more than 4psi.

I wonder if a fuel shut off valve in the vacuum line would work. Close the valve a little at a time to reduce vacuum just enough to stop the fuel from dribbling out. I know... I am grabbing straws here

+ Reply to Thread