Meh Max too

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Meh Max too

Muh Max too

So I bought a 30 year old money pit. From what I can tell, it’s a 91 or 92. I bought it from a volunteer fire department in California. The chief said he put a new motor on it years ago. I guestimate that it’s been sitting in the weather for around 10 years or more. It needs tires, the seats re-upholstered, probably a carb rebuild and who knows what else. It’s definitely going to be a project. So my plan is, after I get it running, I’m gonna paint it, Build dog racks for the front and rear and then finally build a cab and doors. For the cab, I think I’ll build the main frame out of 1 3/4 DOM because that’s what I’m gonna be using on my truck. The rest will be 1” tube, the windshield frame will be made of 1” x 1/8” plate. For the cab skin, I’ll be fiberglassing it. Then eventually I plan to buy tracks for it.
    Last edited by Rowdy; 08-05-2021 at 11:17 AM.

pics?

Sadly I don’t have any yet. I attempted to pick her up yesterday, but the fire chief was out of town. I relied on his volunteer fire fighters to tell him that I planned to pick it up yesterday. But, since I wasn’t able to pick it up, he offered to let me use his atv trailer to haul it home. I was planning to just winch it backwards, up into the bed of my truck. The trailer should be much easier. I’m off work until Thursday. Then I’ll work for 11 days and the I should be getting off. That’s when I will be bringing it home.
    As far as the condition of the paint, I would describe it as being 30 year old red orange that’s sun faded and chipped. I’m expecting to have to rebuild/ replace everything but the motor and axles. Hopefully it isn’t that far gone. But I don’t know if they left the body plugs in it or not. I assume they did and all the chains are shot. Hopefully not….

Finally picked it up! It looks like a mid 80’s with a 7670 serial number.

So I got to messin with it. It isn’t getting any spark. I’m assuming it’s the pickup coil. I’m gonna have to learn how to change it because I’ve never changed one.

So I did a little research and there was a guy on U toob that went over how he does his trouble shooting. He recommends disconnecting all the kill wires to eliminate the possibility that it’s a bad switch or grounded out wire. So, I’ll be trying that when I get the time next week.

Good idea. Also, Harbor Freight sells an in-line spark checker that works awesome for troubleshooting.

https://www.harborfreight.com/in-lin...ker-63590.html

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Good idea. Also, Harbor Freight sells an in-line spark checker that works awesome for troubleshooting.

https://www.harborfreight.com/in-lin...ker-63590.html

I’m definitely going to be getting one. I used to have one, but I broke it.

I haven’t messed with it, I’m trying to finish my hunting truck build before I start working on another project.

So I forgot to update this thread?.
    I can honestly say the bug has bitten me?..
    I have spent around $1800 on the old gal already ha ha ha.

The biggest update is that I got her running!!! The magneto was rusted up along with the points being rusted open. Cleaned them up with emory cloth, re-gapped the magneto along with fresh fuel and she came alive. She needed a new carb though. Here?s my list of new parts:
    Carburetor
    Electronic pick up coil (still needs to be installed)
    Chain tensioners
    E-Z Shift rails
    Throttle and cable
    Choke cable
    Battery
    Drain plugs
    2 tires (still need to install)

I bought 4 snowmobile tracks to build rubber tracks for it in the future. I am torn on whether I want to build hinges or bolt the tracks together using a rubber hinge, like a piece of conveyor belt or another section of track laid on top of the two ends butted together and bolted. As for the tire guides, I have two designs in mind. A piece of flat stock that spans the track, with 2 guides bent like a crooked V that are upside down, welded together and bolted on. Or a piece of 4? aluminum ?angle iron? bent, sanded and bolted on.
    I have some 1? aluminum wheel spacers that I will be using to gauge how much the tires will need to be spaced out to clear the tracks. I found some 2? spacers on Amazon for $90. I may buy those to try them if the 1? spacers are almost enough. Worse case I?ll end up buying the 5? spacers sold on the 6x6 Parts page. I can?t upload pictures due to the files being too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    Finally picked it up! It looks like a mid 80’s with a 7670 serial number.
    Looks like a 1986.

+ Reply to Thread