Meh Max too

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Meh Max too

I didn?t finish the tracks today but I should be able to finish them tomorrow. I ground off all the drive lugs and mounted a few tire guides. I think they?re sturdy enough and I think they should work just fine. I?ll put them on tomorrow and test it out around the property. If it works out, I?ll go try it out in the wildlife area Saturday, hunting coyotes.

looking forward to some pics of the finished tracks on your machine ..hope they work well , but may be some fine tuning after running them a bit . jboy

Here?s a link to my build thread on Pirate 4x4. I?ll try to remember to post updated pictures when I finish. It?s easier for me to post pictures on there than on here.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/ma...#post-45038854

looking good buddy .... my tire guides are only 3'' tall , but they work fine . yours look longer . may take some experimenting with the tire air pressures once you start trying them out . most of the time i've seen someone loose a track ..including myself ...was usually when they are driving or turning when driving sideways on a pretty good slope . there are some different driving ways when using tracks i think . just takes some time running them . jboy va

John boy:
    Thank you! The tire guides should have about 3.5-3.75 inches of usable surface area depending on how much the tires conform to the guides while driving. If I got anal, I could counter sink the bolt heads and get a counter sunk bolt which would maximize the amount of the tire guide used. But I think that would be over kill. I?m assembling the last track today. Headed to get my daughter from school which is giving my back a rest lol. But I?ll put them on this afternoon and see how it works out!

Finished the tracks up today. Took it for a test drive around the yard and they actually stayed on! But another spark plug burned out. I talked with a buddy and he recommended cleaning the grounds so I?ll do that and hope it fixes it.

glad to hear it ...from what i have learned about tracks on this site is to have them tight enough to stay on , but not putting much pressure on tne axles and bearings . mine actually sag just a bit , but since i extended the guides there's been no problems . jb

John Boy: I have them set so they have a little sag between the tires. The passenger side has more sag than the driver but I plan to replace a couple tires and swap a couple around so they are equal.

So an update with the max: I added a ground wire and it?s now dying after it reaches operating temp. I let it idle for 5 min, drove it 200 feet and it bogs down then dies. It has a weak spark now.

There is an ignition module on this max, are they supposed to have one? If it isn?t an issue with the ignition module, then maybe the ignition itself is shorting out internally? I?m completely stumped lol.

Okay, I?m gonna try checking and testing the connections on the ignition switch and the voltage regulator today. That?s the last of the hard parts that I haven?t replaced yet. The ignition appears to be oem so maybe it?s finally given up the ghost? I maybe the voltage regulator is getting hot and going out? I just don?t know enough about them to be able to say just yet. If those aren?t the culprits then I?ll clean up the coil, the kill wire, coil mounting area and flywheel then reassess.

Okay, this morning it fired up and I went to drive it to the garage to work on it. It went about 100 foot and died again. So I re-gaped the coil, sanded the mounting surface for it and sanded the magnet on the flywheel clean. No change. I replaced the spark plug and no change. I pulled all the connectors off the ignition switch and put them back on, incase they had bad connections, with no change. I replaced the coil with no change. THEN I looked over and realized I left the fuel valve in the off position this morning. I turned it on and after fuel hit the carb it fired up. To try to troubleshoot it, I put the first coil back in and it fired up just fine. I put the first plug back in and it fired up fine. I don?t know what fixed the issue now.

I hadn?t adjusted the carb since the weather started to warm back up so I readjusted it. Now it?s not blowing black smoke when I hit the throttle and it doesn?t wanna die when I let off the throttle fast.

I think I had a couple problems. Maybe a bad connection, the carb was out of adjustment and I think I have crap in the fuel tank which is intermittently blocking the line. I?m gonna pull the tank and clean it today, install a filter and clean the fuel bowl. The amp meter is still showing a discharge when driving so I think the voltage regulator is not working either.

+ Reply to Thread