Meh Max too

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Meh Max too

Hybrid View

Muh Max too

So I bought a 30 year old money pit. From what I can tell, it’s a 91 or 92. I bought it from a volunteer fire department in California. The chief said he put a new motor on it years ago. I guestimate that it’s been sitting in the weather for around 10 years or more. It needs tires, the seats re-upholstered, probably a carb rebuild and who knows what else. It’s definitely going to be a project. So my plan is, after I get it running, I’m gonna paint it, Build dog racks for the front and rear and then finally build a cab and doors. For the cab, I think I’ll build the main frame out of 1 3/4 DOM because that’s what I’m gonna be using on my truck. The rest will be 1” tube, the windshield frame will be made of 1” x 1/8” plate. For the cab skin, I’ll be fiberglassing it. Then eventually I plan to buy tracks for it.
    Last edited by Rowdy; 08-05-2021 at 11:17 AM.

pics?

Sadly I don’t have any yet. I attempted to pick her up yesterday, but the fire chief was out of town. I relied on his volunteer fire fighters to tell him that I planned to pick it up yesterday. But, since I wasn’t able to pick it up, he offered to let me use his atv trailer to haul it home. I was planning to just winch it backwards, up into the bed of my truck. The trailer should be much easier. I’m off work until Thursday. Then I’ll work for 11 days and the I should be getting off. That’s when I will be bringing it home.
    As far as the condition of the paint, I would describe it as being 30 year old red orange that’s sun faded and chipped. I’m expecting to have to rebuild/ replace everything but the motor and axles. Hopefully it isn’t that far gone. But I don’t know if they left the body plugs in it or not. I assume they did and all the chains are shot. Hopefully not….

Greased her up today. Hopefully I can pick up the starter tomorrow and get it put back together. Then I?ll warm it up and change the oil. Hopefully I?ll get it all ready to start being used. Might even install the winch?

Sounds like you are having a great time "getting to know" your machine. You will be thrilled to take that first ride.

One place many people have trouble is with the belt tension and alignment. If you don't get it right you won't have an as enjoyable first ride. Let us know when you get to that point if you need help.

Finished up the dog box. Wheel spacers came in last week and I have all of the tracks. I just need to buy the materials for making hinges and tire guides. I plan to build a cab over the summer. Oh I also made a deal to buy a 18.5 hp 3cyl Kubota diesel. I hope to pick it up Wednesday evening. I will swap that over the summer also. I plan to install a heater and run ducting into the cab and dog box.

Here’s a link to some pictures.
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/6Q2Fjkm

When I build the cab, I plan to build it all out of aluminum. I will cut the back half of the top tub off, making a tilt bed for engine access. For the windshield, I?m gonna use a Suzuki Samurai windshield because it?s significantly cheaper than buying an argo windshield. I can?t even find a Max windshield. I will also install the Samurai wipers and possibly windshield frame, time will tell when I start fabricating and figure out how the gasket is designed.

The Kubota diesel will fit nice. Here's a view of one in my Max IV.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-bearings.html

That looks nice! I haven?t decided whether I will add a turbo or not. I believe mine has a low profile oil pan so I hope it sits fairly low. I plan to have a usable flat bed.

I got home and installed an electronic ignition along with a digital RPM gauge/hr meter. I need to adjust the carb more because it back fired when I test drove it.

Worked on the hinges some more. I finished up the welding and started greasing the ones that had cooled off. By changing my design, I cut almost 50% of the weight. I hope to finish the tracks up completely then install them on Friday.

Finally picked it up! It looks like a mid 80’s with a 7670 serial number.

+ Reply to Thread