Broken motor mount

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken motor mount

Broken motor mount

Last night I was riding, and shut of the Argo to talk with friends. It wouldn't restart. I replaced the battery, and still just a quick sound. I though the starter, so ordered another one. Now, I just looked under the hood, and the whole motor is crooked, and a motor mount stud is on the bottom of the hull. My Argo mechanic died just a few weeks ago. There is a dealership about 30 miles from me, and I hope they can do huge repairs. I think this is way beyond my skill level.

It's possible that the bolt just came out. I don't know the process for turning the motor back to it's correct position, and reinstalling the bolt. I just know that I don't know what I am doing.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    If the engine shifted out of position then you may have more than one broken bolt. Like maybe three... with one holding on, or just some very loose ones. Grab the engine and twist it till the belt lines up. With a good light look down to the bottom of the engine corners and see if you can find some bolt heads or holes. Most of these things can be a regular pri*k to work on. You may have to remove some stuff, maybe not, to get to the mounting bolt area. When you get there find a good bolt or the broken halves to find out what size. If you get that far I would then get 4 new grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts. Put them in the holes and tighten. If you are the type of person who enjoys a cold beverage of the malt extraction, you may want at least a 6 pack. Maybe more if you decide to encourage a buddy to help. Tell him or her it's not a job.....it's an adventure.

my buddy had the same thing happen to him,stud broke off engine turned sideways the oil filter got chewed up by the seconday clutch.they had to remove the engine and drill out the broken stud,damn things are welded in at bottom of engine mount frame.this was apparently caused by incorrect torqueing specs from the factory.i swear to god when you buy an argo you got to disasemble the whole machine then put it back together properly.i did that to mine a year ago,now i can ride with a little more confidence.

the engine removal is actually pretty easy . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcUSo7TzFXo

Thank you for the information. I know that when I first got my Argo, the electrical system was horrible. I rewired everything. I have had my previous Argo mechanic, now deceased, replace the alternator. I have replaced a belt on the alternator and that was a nightmare because I couldn't get a tool on the lower bolt to hold it while I tightened the other side. I really didn't think that I would lose my Argo mechanic, and be faced with removing the engine, but that is where I am. I never expected that the whole engine would come loose.

ya,its pretty disapointing considering what we paid for our argos.imagine the poo storm if the engine in my truck came loose? argo should be fixing your issue.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Not up to snuff on the newer models. Didn't know how they are bolted in. Mine has bolts and nuts not studs. Maybe if enough people bombarded the Argo factory with enough complaints they may do something on a warranty bases.

There was a short run of 17s that the engine mounting studs were not correctly torqued.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I found Livingston Sales in Hillsboro New Hampshire that will repair the Argo, and they are checking to see if it can be repaired under warranty or not. Either way it's getting fixed. I should be able to trailer it there Friday or Saturday. Yay!

+ Reply to Thread