78 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 78 8x8

78 8x8

Hey y’all. So my diamond in the roughs I acquired has possibly either blown a ring or popped a valve. It’s the old Tecumseh 16hp

So the dilemma. I’ve got a 6x6 with a known working engine that may become a trailer for the Argo to haul what ever where ever.

Would you A take a ok tecumseh engine and install her in the other orrr. Get a newer engine. I’m torn up on what I would and or should do.

When I got these one of the two was newer before they sat. They did sit for 5 ish years in the woods in the elements.

If I do go newer is it much to take say a quad engine and install it? Or just bite the bullet and get a 18-20hp princess auto engine and just ****ing send her.

I look forward to the debate.

I think it depends on the condition of the second Tecumseh engine. If it's low hours and seems to run well then I would just use that one. You know it will hook right up and you won't have to bother toying around with clutches and shafts. Plus you'll have a parts motor. If it's in poor shape, or you just enjoy the challenge of fitting in a new engine, then maybe I would take a look at replacing it. Just keep in mind that you need to choose an engine with the same size shaft for the clutch, or pay out for a new primary clutch that will fit with your current set up.

As for the quad motors, don't try that route. They do make more power, but they also 1) make a lot more heat which will be very difficult to vent off and 2) They rev too high, you can't spin an Argo transmission over that quickly without destroying it. I wouldn't run much past 3600 RPM through the trans, let alone the rest of the chain drive system. Those are just my thoughts though, someone else may have a different opinion on it. I'd love to see some photo's of your 78 if you have any!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett20200 View Post
    I think it depends on the condition of the second Tecumseh engine. If it's low hours and seems to run well then I would just use that one. You know it will hook right up and you won't have to bother toying around with clutches and shafts. Plus you'll have a parts motor. If it's in poor shape, or you just enjoy the challenge of fitting in a new engine, then maybe I would take a look at replacing it. Just keep in mind that you need to choose an engine with the same size shaft for the clutch, or pay out for a new primary clutch that will fit with your current set up.

As for the quad motors, don't try that route. They do make more power, but they also 1) make a lot more heat which will be very difficult to vent off and 2) They rev too high, you can't spin an Argo transmission over that quickly without destroying it. I wouldn't run much past 3600 RPM through the trans, let alone the rest of the chain drive system. Those are just my thoughts though, someone else may have a different opinion on it. I'd love to see some photo's of your 78 if you have any!
    When I’m home I’ll for sure get photos of the old girls. One still has the original sized tires on her.

Thank you for the quad info. It’s more been a thought and wtf I wanna do with this.

The second one has prettier putter shielding beyond that no idea if it’s a newer engine or not. The previous owner is one foot in the grave and cannot remember which one was refreshed.

What kind of input hp can those older trans take. What would be the min assuming I don’t go with rout cheap and send the old girl.

I am also ready to find a new carb something more local as that one is tough to get parts for and furthermore old ����

I'm not sure about the amount of power you can put through those old trans, I think they're pretty robust though. I would think that if you were to toss in something like a 25HP unit you would be fine. Gear driven transmissions are pretty strong as long as you don't spin them over too fast. As far as minimum HP, I guess that depends on what you expect to get out of it. Something like 16HP is probably fine for an old 6x6. You may want more if you're going to run tracks, especially if your trans is too old to have a "low" gear.

60A24E47-A399-41DD-931E-EB4C9FD2936B.jpg42322EDD-F361-4386-88B9-595064E77EEF.jpgEF58C7DB-1593-46D9-84E8-EB6D6BB6C310.jpg60A24E47-A399-41DD-931E-EB4C9FD2936B.jpg42322EDD-F361-4386-88B9-595064E77EEF.jpgEF58C7DB-1593-46D9-84E8-EB6D6BB6C310.jpg

There’s the photos of the okd girls. Little mad since the 8 died hence the lack of area. And the 6 is currently a parts machine.

I'm not sure about the amount of power you can put through those old trans, I think they're pretty robust though. I would think that if you were to toss in something like a 25HP unit you would be fine. Gear driven transmissions are pretty strong as long as you don't spin them over too fast. As far as minimum HP, I guess that depends on what you expect to get out of it. Something like 16HP is probably fine for an old 6x6. You may want more if you're going to run tracks, especially if your trans is too old to have a "low" gear.

Thankfully both came with the low gear. No tracks for these girls. I don’t have enough original sized tires to accommodate tracks at the moment.

I love the look of those 70's machines, I've warmed up to the orange quite a bit over the last few years. I've been thinking about adding the aluminum (or stainless?) rails onto my magnum like yours has, but I'm worried that the shine they give off might be too much for hunting. The DIY ROPS and windshield make that a real complete package. My '88 has its original Kohler 18 in it, and I don't feel that it lacks power at all when using tires or the original plastic tracks (non-super tracks). I am in the process of making a set of channel tracks for it, so I hope to find out this fall or winter if the machine is capable of running those tracks in high gear with a bit of clutch work done to it.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post - no matter what route you take, make sure you save the trans out of the parts machine. Everything else is replaceable, but that trans is not. Parts are really difficult to find so having a second one around is worth its weight in gold.

The easiest thing to do is switch the engines, however as I'm sure you know the 8x8 Tecumseh machines are a bear to drive. If you are handy you can switch most small block twins in there with alot of measuring or a little cutting, the hood openings are smaller on the T machines and the upper is lower.
    If you are running just tires you can run say 22s on the front 3 axles and 21s on the back to help with steering and still have traction when needed as tires will bob. Did this on a wheeled conquest and made a big difference as the rears slip under most conditions.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The easiest thing to do is switch the engines, however as I'm sure you know the 8x8 Tecumseh machines are a bear to drive. If you are handy you can switch most small block twins in there with alot of measuring or a little cutting, the hood openings are smaller on the T machines and the upper is lower.
    If you are running just tires you can run say 22s on the front 3 axles and 21s on the back to help with steering and still have traction when needed as tires will bob. Did this on a wheeled conquest and made a big difference as the rears slip under most conditions.
    I have a bunch extra 20s. Would those work or are they too small.

I’m leaning on using what I have at the moment.

A 20 would be fine and 2hp more than what was offered in the twin and vanguard, again you will need to do some measuring, adapting and possible cutting. Clutches will work.
    Get that done and you will probably be back. Before you head out to fae invest in some spiral pins.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread