T20 shaft problem... it's too short.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T20 shaft problem... it's too short.

T20 shaft problem... it's too short.

Hi. A problem I've had with the T20, several times now, is the shaft that the secondary clutch rides on is too short.
    When the mounting bolt rattles off, the secondary clutch can slide side to side, as the Max is driven. This causes a heavy wobble, which enlargens the hole that the shaft fits in.
    Yeah, I've use plenty of threadlock, and new lock washer, but eventually the bolt rattles loose while dtiving, and we feel a heavy wobble vibrating the Max. A few times the woodruff key fell out.
    The wobble is due to the shaft being too short where the clutch is bolted on. It barely goes half the distance in the clutch center hole. The result is a ruined clutch.

Is there a T20 shaft that has a longer clutch stub? Or, has anyone welded a longer extention on it to increase the length of it?
    It seems to me if the shaft wwas about two inches longer it might eliminate the wobble.

Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

The shaft is short so the clutch can be removed without pulling the tranny. It is a hardened shaft and comes in a one length only. Something is causing your clutch to come loose. Bent or worn input shaft? (Unlikely) worn out put bearing? Once the secondary comes loose and wobbles it wears the bore out and will never fit tight again. The secondary should fit snug on the shaft and the bolt should have a heavy washer under the lock washer for proper tension. Locktight shouldn’t be needed but doesn’t hurt. Hope this helps.

Thank you. We plan to do a complete overhaul of our Max4 next spring (chains, bearings), including servicing the T20. I'll make sure the input shaft bearing is good, if not it will be replaced.
    Even though, I wish there was a longer shaft available. Oh well. It is what it is.

If the shaft is worn more than .002” from stock it won’t hold a clutch. It’s very rare that a clutch comes loose without destroying both. When you have transmission out measure the shaft with a micrometer.

Thanks Mark. We plan to service the T20 next spring, as well as replace axle bearings and chains. I'll likely replace that shaft. It'll need a new clutch, too.
    We truely enjoy this Max, so we don't mind the work.

+ Reply to Thread