Thinking of replacing 16hp motor.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of replacing 16hp motor.

Thinking of replacing 16hp motor.

I know I've only had my Argo for about 6 weeks but I would really like to put a more powerful one in. My machine is a 98 Vanguard 6x6 with the Vanguard 16hp twin cam motor. The reason is not for speed but where I ride there's a lot of hills and my machine has a real hard time with them. What's the best motor that will fit in the place of the one I have now? I'm not looking for anything crazy just a little more power.

An 18 or 20 are direct bolt ins provided you get the right crankshaft size and higher charging system, the 20 is a 2brl carb. A 23 will fit but exhaust is an issue along with excess heat and possible overheating.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I upgraded(?) to a Briggs 23 vanguard from a 16 opposed twin Briggs. I too, found the machine slightly underpowered especially with the tracks on. The 23 came out of a skid steer machine which I picked up , in my opinion, economically viable to my budget. The 16 had a screw on clutch, like the early Rotax skidoo engines. The 23 came with a 1 1/8 crankshaft pto so I had to find a clutch to fit the straight shaft anyway. The 16-18 Vanguard and maybe the 20 come with a 1 in pto shaft, to the best of my knowledge. If so then should you go to an 18 or twenty then you will have your clutch. The 23 might come with a 1 in shaft option, don't know. Someone mentioned to me earlier when I came across a 18 Kohler, was 2 hp worth the hassle, so I opted to wait for the 23 hp. It is still a work in progress but I am mobile. A lot of chatter on the 23 overheating so I have added an extra fan, wrapped the exhaust, which as mentioned, you will have to fab up, and have the parts to install a cylinderhead temp gauge. The 18 and 20 I believe bolt right in, the 23 has a different bolt pattern so a mount plate has to made. I stuck with the Briggs because the Vanguard has a good reputation, the parts are realitively cheap and just about every small engine shop is either a Briggs dealer or has parts. I have worked on small engines for a lot of years and have barely scratched the surface of knowledge on them so I am no expert to give advice, just what I have experienced. If it is a piece of mechanical equipment it will break down, usually at the most worst time. If you upgrade to more hp, you may want to consider Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki optons. Different people prefer different brands for a variety of reasons. All are good, all will breakdown sometime, maybe not yours in particular, but the brand in general. You will enjoy the build and wonder at times"What the he## was I thinking." Remember....have fun and stay safe.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    My mistake. The 23 has the same pattern as a 16 or 18. I was going from a16 opposed to the Vanguard hence a different mounting plate.

Laird. I think your right about going from a 16hp to a 18hp it's not worth it but going up to a 20hp or 23hp would be will worth the work. I was looking for a winter project. I went out on my Argo yesterday and went up a hill I've been on over a hundred times on one of my atv's and never thought anything of it but in the Argo with the 16hp motor I just made it after 3 times trying. Out of all the videos I've watched before I bought my Vangaurd almost all of them where on flat ground and I really don't think these machines were made for hills . But I do have to say I went through this trail we call the pit that eats Side by Sides and ATV with real good mud tires up . I've never made it through with any of my machines before and had to be pulled out a couple of times yesterday I put my tracks back on and did the trail with my Argo and I had no problem once or twice I had to rock it side to side but I made it. The only thing I don't like is its the only machine I have without a wench on it and no one has the mounting bracket I need so I have to try and make something to mount a wench on because I ride by myself a lot and like I said I hate not having the wench to back me up. I would love to meet up with some other 6x6 or 8x8 owners to ride with but I've only seen one in my area once and he wasn't from here he just came to try out the trails and there's no way I can keep up with the guys I ride with on ATV'S and me in the Argo.

The biggest difference between the12,14 and 16 is the carb bore and head chamber designs, they are all480cc, the 18 and 20 are both 570cc with the single barrel and 2 barrel carbs the difference. A 23 is 623cc? However it is wider and slightly taller. I had seen a 23 in a Bigfoot at one time.
    Keep in mind, the Vanguard, 2, Bigfoot and response have the lowest clearance in engine compartment

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

The biggest difference between the12,14 and 16 is the carb bore and head chamber designs, they are all480cc, the 18 and 20 are both 570cc with the single barrel and 2 barrel carbs the difference. A 23 is 623cc? However it is wider and slightly taller. I had seen a 23 in a Bigfoot at one time.
    Keep in mind, the Vanguard, 2, Bigfoot and response have the lowest clearance in engine compartment other than the pre twins.

The 23 tucked right in where the 16 opposed was . No hood issues what so ever.

I think I would be happy with a 20hp in place of the 16hp.. But if I find a 23hp for a good price I would do that.

With a new carb, head gasket and doing the work myself, I have approx.$550 in the engine. The carb was $360. Good thing my wife doesn't read this forum. A new 23 hp in Canada is in the 2700-2800 range.

+ Reply to Thread