Chain replacement question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain replacement question

Chain replacement question

So I just bought a older Argo (my first) that I’m going to replace all the chains on. I can buy it in 10 foot sections much cheaper than from an Argo parts dealer. I figured that I would count the links on the chains that came off and make the new chains have that many links. I figure that would give me the correct length instead of measuring the old chain that’s stretched. Does this sound like it will work or is there a better method?

Thanks guys

I did the same thing to both mine. Make sure you count links twice before you cut it.

Just replaced all the chains on my 2007 Argo with 300 hrs. I bought them in 10 meter sections, Renold Chain from England. Took 20 meters to do the job on the 6x6, with a bit spare, I worked it out that there was less waste in longer sections. One tip is to find the manual for your unit, find the driveline diagram and the parts list will tell you the pitch length. Don't forget to subtract one pitch for the connecting link. Like so many things, it was a bitch to start off, but by the 6th chain I was a pro. I replaced the sliders when I was in there. The middle chain was rubbing on a plastic guard over a frame cross member, it was driving me crazy, but in retrospect probably not too serious.

Look at factory parts manual for you model. Chain length and size is listed. Don’t go by the chain that came out of it. I’ve had super stretched chains with a full link removed by someone. 1/2 links are common but not installed at the factory.

+ Reply to Thread