Chaining Up?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chaining Up?

Chaining Up?

I'm pretty bummed out with the plastic supertracks. The other day before the snow came, I was spinning out on a stretch that would have been easy with just the tires, frozen mud was all it took. Had to winch up the hill. I've got the ice cleats, but might have just as well have been on skates. They make for a noisy brutal ride on the road before the snowline, and the machine seems to heats up using them. I get the feeling the tracks are hard on everything.

Its pretty common where I live to run into ice on mountain trails, even in winter, so my confidence in taking a tracked machine up into the hills past October is shaken.

Thought I'd try out studded chains. 6 of them weigh 81 lbs, half the weight of the supertracks. The unit might still get high centered on the snow, but I'm hoping it will be way better on the steep trails and sidehills, especially in the fall. Also, I'm keen to see if this rig can break through thin ice and climb out again.

I've attached a pic of the new chains. Has anyone tried this?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rockydog44; 11-10-2021 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Problems attaching image.

interested to hear the results. Also are they tight to the tires? Hate to see any slack cut into the tub while running.

They fit pretty snug. I installed the with tires deflated, then aired the up. Hopefully they stay on!

That looks awesome. I like that. Would you mind putting up a link to where to get those chains? Hope it performs decent. I have Adair tracks but I like the chains too.

https://wescovan.com/traction-tire-c...pattern-chains

Wescovan Burnaby BC. Solid company, caters to industrial clients. These ones fit the Carlisle 24-10-8 inch tires on my Frontier. Took about a week to show up in 2 boxes.

The tire size compatibility chart is below.

https://wescovan.com/sites/default/f...it%20Chart.pdf

Tried these things out tonight. They are pretty awesome. The machine rolls so much better than with the tracks, runs way cooler, and very quiet in the snow. They claw their way up steep snow that you would need to kick your boots into to stay standing. Haven't tried them in snow over one foot deep, I'll need to wait a bit for that. So far I'm loving them.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I agree the ride is gonna be better with just the tires. I don’t care for the ride with tracks, gotta go much slower. The chains give you some extra traction which may work better in other conditions, rocks, wood, those situations where the tracks get slippery. They look good. The high center is what cripples these machines. Nothing’s perfect I guess. Cool set up tho. Post your reviews, it helps us all. Your rig looks good. ����

yea rocky..those look really good . i've considered them before but never knew how well they would be in mud . look forward to hearing more reports on them . i went to half tracks on my max 2 to save some weight and better power . they seem to be almost as good in mud than the full tracks . will test them when we get some good snow here in no. va. let us know if you test the chains in muddy terrain . thanks , johnboy va.

I like it and that has to be way cheaper than tracks.

For sure. Half the weight and 1/10th the price. Had it out again today, I'm able to climb a 35 degree incline with snow with a Marlon 1605 trailer in tow. The chains seem to like a little bit higher pressures. Today I ran 5 psi, they didnt budge. Totally impressed.

+ Reply to Thread