Heated throttle cable clear "sleeve"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heated throttle cable clear "sleeve"

Heated throttle cable clear "sleeve"

Does anyone know what that clear covering is called or what the specs are? What's it actually considered...tubing, hose or what and is it sized by I.D., O.D. and or wall thickness? The coil and the wiring on my heated throttle cable appear to be in working order but that "sleeve" has seen better days so it's time for a new one. I say "appears to be in working order" because I've never used it but intend to soon. I was a union pipefitter certified welder for 20 years before I went to work as a maintenance mechanic/welder in the nuke industry 9 years ago so it's safe to say I'm familiar with pipe, tubing, hose etc but I'll be damned if I can determine what that "sleeve" is and I'm having even less success finding a replacement for it. In these situations I'd normally make an effort to find a like for like replacement but when I've been unsuccessful in the past I usually improvise and go with the next best/suitable thing. But that's proving to be difficult as well because like I said don't know what it is in the 1st place. It's thin and somewhat flexible but is it resistant to heat and at what rating etc. I mean, I don't want to just slap whatever I can find at my local hardware store on that cable and the next thing I know I've got a melted mess and or a fire. I can't imagine that coil gets that hot but I don't know that for sure because again I've never used it so I really have no idea. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks Cup

Hey Cup,
    It is heat shrink tubing. There are many colors to choose from and I think the clear is the most expensive. (I was wrong, not too pricey)
    Order some from McMaster Carr.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-shrink...rink-tubing-6/

I have several new heated cables from the factory. I can look and see if there is any print on the tube. I believe two just vinyl tube. They only get to about 100 degrees. The ends were sealed with heat shrink. The resistance wire is cut to 10 ohms and was made up at the factory as a unit with standard throttle cables as the starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by mfenmor View Post
    Hey Cup,
    It is heat shrink tubing. There are many colors to choose from and I think the clear is the most expensive. (I was wrong, not too pricey)
    Order some from McMaster Carr.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-shrink...rink-tubing-6/
    Not saying you're wrong as far as what you may have or what you've seen but it's definitely not heat shrink tubing that I have. It reminds me of what old school bike locks were covered in. Back when I was a kid they sold chain with a protective sleeve loosely fitted over it with just a few links exposed at each end to slide the shank of the padlock through. It was very similar if not the same stuff. Eitherway thanks for replying I appreciate it....Cup

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I have several new heated cables from the factory. I can look and see if there is any print on the tube. I believe two just vinyl tube. They only get to about 100 degrees. The ends were sealed with heat shrink. The resistance wire is cut to 10 ohms and was made up at the factory as a unit with standard throttle cables as the starting point.
    That would be greatly appreciated and thanks for answering my technical questions about how hot it gets etc. I assumed it didn't get that hot but wanted to confirm that. My heated throttle cable must be factory because it had the heat shrink tubing on it just like you described and it looked different than what Route 6x6 sells. Also had tapered rubber cone like fittings on both ends where the cable comes out of the metal sleeve but like the heat shrink tubing and the clear sleeve they were also too far gone to reuse. Thanks for replying...Cup

Well no marking on tube. It measures 1/2” OD with.035 wall. They were designed to be heated for short times. Even in subzero weather they will usually thaw a frozen cable in a few minutes. I find it best to try to prevent freezing as much as possible. I flush with isopropyl alcohol just before freeze up.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    Well no marking on tube. It measures 1/2” OD with.035 wall. They were designed to be heated for short times. Even in subzero weather they will usually thaw a frozen cable in a few minutes. I find it best to try to prevent freezing as much as possible. I flush with isopropyl alcohol just before freeze up.
    Those measurements sound exactly like what I have especially the wall thickness. Anyone familiar with MIG welding knows just how small that .035 dimension is because that's a very common size MIG wire. So picture that very small wire being the same size as the wall thickness of a piece of tubing. Too thin if you ask me but that's just my opinion. Your statement about preventing freeze up is very sound advice. Hence the expression...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. With Christmas right around the corner I'm sure you're very busy so I thank you for taking the time to get that info. Much appreciated...Cup

+ Reply to Thread