Tracks and phragmitis

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks and phragmitis

Tracks and phragmitis

Having a problem removing the phragmitis from my 8wheel Argo. Didn’t have as much of a problem with the max. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have to wrap a strap around the bundle hanging out the back then hook to a tree to remove it. I’ll try to put pictures up but I’m not good on a computer. Merry Christmas everyone
    Last edited by Delduck; 12-23-2021 at 10:38 PM.

what the heck is phragmitis?

Think he’s talking about weeds around the axles

there were some posts a while back about ways to stop the grasses from wrapping around axles . maybe you can find it . things like grease , sharp blade bolted to one of the bearing flange bolts , etc. j boy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly10 View Post
    Think he’s talking about weeds around the axles
    That's exactly what he's talking about. It's an invasive species of weed that can take over entire shorelines and wetlands. It gets so tall and thick that walking in it is next to impossible.

delduck one thing you may try is take a piece of pvc pipe thats a little bigger inside than the axle . cut it the length of the exposed axle , then cut it lengthwise in half . put it on the axle and tape the 2 halves back together . it will now spin on the axle so maybe the grass won't be able to wrap up . hope it helps . maybe try one and see . johnboy va. happy christmas to you and yours . johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    there were some posts a while back about ways to stop the grasses from wrapping around axles . maybe you can find it . things like grease , sharp blade bolted to one of the bearing flange bolts , etc. j boy
    Haven't seen one in a while but there used to be something like that for trolling motors or it sounds like it's at least the same concept to what you're talking about. It was a fixed blade that protruded out from the trolling motor shaft near the prop and when the weeds would build up around the prop the blade would cut them as they spun around. That's not the best description but I think I'm getting my point across lol

The biggest issue I imagine is the bearing extensions, that narrow span between the bearing flanges and hub gets grasses really tight in there.
    Perhaps something like a pto joint cover made in 2 pieces that bolt together extending from the bearing extension to almost the axle flange would allow it to float under the machine instead of twisting around the axles.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Merry Christmas and thank you for all the replies. I tried some years ago the “ pvc pipe and a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, unfortunately the soda bottle ripped to shreds and the pipe got clogged also, but I’m sure it helped with the bearings. I remember those threads John, I think I asked years ago and you guys gave me those ideas. Jim I’m very familiar with the pto guard, I’m just thinking it’s going to do the same as the pvc. So on the newer machine I did 11.8 miles of phrag removal. So the next time I’m going to try to check appropriately at 3 miles and do a clean out. Hopefully it will be easier. Thanks for the replies and please don’t hesitate to give any thoughts. I’ve used a cutter from a combine on the front, a pipe, and a plow, they helped on the max but not sure with the Argo. The area between the tub and the tracks is more square on the Argo than the max. It looks like asparagus sticking out the back. The outboard string cutter is a neat idea I’m going to see how I can mount that. “Nothing justifies a failure without an attempt” cup walker I have that setup for the string on my flats boat, I’m going to try it. Just worried it will be to weak. This stuff is so sharp that by the time I’m done 40 ac the tub on the back side of the Argo will have holes sliced threw it.

Have your farmer friend try to mount a sickle bar or a discbine cutter on it either front or rear and power it from a small engine, run down the side of it once the first row is down.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread