Tracks and phragmitis

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracks and phragmitis

I would agree 100% with johnboy that is a mess!!
    It's not funny by any means but in situations like that you almost have to laugh to keep from crying...ya know what I mean?? I've got a couple of other ideas as well but they're not easy or fast and I have no idea what your situation is as far as how often you use that machine etc. One of my ideas that's the least involved is going to sound crazy but I think it can be done with careful and precise engineering. You could attach a very stout blade or sharpened piece of flat stock to the track with it angled down and protruding into the path of where the weeds are accumulating. It would have to be long enough to be effective yet short enough to not come in contact with the body. With the sharpened edge angled down into the void between the tub and axles it wouldn't come into contact with flat ground but would with uneven/narrow ground that sticks up, rocks etc. That's where the flexibility of the track comes in and the optimal length of the blade. The blade is going to take a beating and may not last long but that's the beauty of being able to swap it out quickly because attaching it to the tracks is easy. You could use short carriage bolts with the head on the inside so as to not damage your tires and the nut side would be as short as possible. Again, I know it sounds crazy and maybe a little stupid to some people but like I always say...a person is only limited by their own imagination

if cup and myself were at delducks ...boy could we have some fun !! another creative idea ! jb

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    if cup and myself were at delducks ...boy could we have some fun !! another creative idea ! jb
    Hahaha!! Yes we could and we'd probably solve the problem by the time it was all said and done. Delduck's situation is very complex because of where the problem is located. It's tight, oddly shaped and there's moving components in very close proximity as well. Mechanically speaking it's a challenge to find a solution that doesn't hinder performance, won't damage or potentially damage the machine and one that definitely won't get anyone hurt.

he must be at ...have'nt heard a peep out of him , .. i even thought of putting a sprocket on the front axle space and one on the rear . then connecting a # 50 chain around font to rear with some flat bar paddles welded to the chain , like a paddlewheel boat . would it make it even worse though ? or would it shred the grass . j.b.

Delduck is the vegetation accumulating only on the rear axle or all axles?

Sorry guys just got in, had 2 hunting parties today because of the weather. I’ll be putting up a picture of the pile that was removed yesterday. Dobbler it is going over the first, second, and third axle then it’s winding around the rear axles. I like the chain idea but I’m worried about it getting caught and tearing something up. What is your thoughts on a 2” peice of rope then maybe if it gets too full I can hook the rope to another machine and pull the mess out or at least make a void that would help remove it. You guys are right on track with filling the void between the tub and the tracks.cup, and John I’m almost willing to pay for you guys to come over and have at it. You will average 6 miles of riding to knock down 1.5 ac of phrag. I have 38 to do in this parcel. I can’t speak for Argos because I just purchased 2 used but new too me 2003 and 2010. But my max has done over 60 ac. Now for the rest of the story ( Paul Harvey ) said. 4 axles, 3 sets of chains, 3 belts, 2 comet clutches,1 motor, and I’m on my second T20 trans. Lots of time, fun, and learning. Almost forgot 4 stitches when the phrag sliced me pretty good, and almost eye. Luckily I were glasses but anyone else on the machines where safety glasses, or a helmet. I’m going to try to put the pics up in about 1/2 hr. Your welcome to come and I’ll pay for all your fuel, just not the repairs lol

Going to have to send pics tomorrow. I SUCK at working a computer

i can,t figure out why it goes over the first 3 axles then winds around the last one . is it because it's pushed down by the first 3 then is grabbed when it pops up behind the 4 th. ? is it wrapping clockwise or counter clockwise on the 4 th. ? another idea . take 2 ,2 piece shaft collars . clamp them on the 4 th. axle spaced between the wheel hub and axle bearing or bearing extension if you have those . then cut a piece of good flat bar the length from top of collar to top of collar . before you weld it to those sharpen one edge knifelike . then weld it not straight across but angled like the blades on a reel push mower . so as the axle turns , that flatbar knife blade slices the grass . maybe 2 flatbars would be better but try with 1 first . seems like as the axle is turning it should shred the grasses instead of them grabbing the axle . it's a pretty simple thing to make and try . plus your welding to only one side of the collars so it's easy to unclamp them and resharpen the blade if needed . jboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i can,t figure out why it goes over the first 3 axles then winds around the last one . is it because it's pushed down by the first 3 then is grabbed when it pops up behind the 4 th. ? is it wrapping clockwise or counter clockwise on the 4 th. ? another idea . take 2 ,2 piece shaft collars . clamp them on the 4 th. axle spaced between the wheel hub and axle bearing or bearing extension if you have those . then cut a piece of good flat bar the length from top of collar to top of collar . before you weld it to those sharpen one edge knifelike . then weld it not straight across but angled like the blades on a reel push mower . so as the axle turns , that flatbar knife blade slices the grass . maybe 2 flatbars would be better but try with 1 first . seems like as the axle is turning it should shred the grasses instead of them grabbing the axle . it's a pretty simple thing to make and try . plus your welding to only one side of the collars so it's easy to unclamp them and resharpen the blade if needed . jboy
    I've been wondering the same thing about how the weeds end up across all the axles AND wrapped around the rear axle and this is the conclusion I came up with. The phragmites must be tall enough that he's not driving over it he's driving through it...if that makes any sense. And when he's driving through it, it's evidently breaking or bending towards the machine instead of falling away like it would if it were shorter. When it breaks off or lays over I'm assuming the tips of the phragmites is getting "fed" into the tracks, wheels, axles etc. Then it's snagged by the tracks or something and ends up wrapped around the axles until it breaks off and the remaining phragmites ends up wedged between the tub and tracks. Could be wrong but that's my guess...Cup

Cup there is the reason I asked for all replies…… I never gave that a thought, we drive over the phrag one way but then we turn around and drive back over that path a little off of the original path. When going back over it, that is when it makes it stay flat because your almost snow plowing it. I need to run a bunch over and not turn back on it to see if the jam up is coming when your going back on it. I’ve got a feeling you are EXACTLY correct. The phrag is 14’ high.

+ Reply to Thread