Throttle Control Max !!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Control Max !!

Throttle Control Max !!

Hi,
    Been a while since I was last here. Always come when I am in trouble. My 2003 Max II has developed a peculiar problem:- 23 hp Kohler has work flawlessly since I have owned it (2008) today was running the powder snow and the throttle contol left me, yet it appeared to be stuck on high rev. I was able to get home mercifully with no throttle control. I turned on the throttle cable heater and briefly it seemed to help. It is very cold but machine was in heated garage and when wading snow runs fairly warm. The cable has never been changed but it appears to be hooked up. For a time last winter or so it appeared that the clutch was sticking and it would creep forward sometimes fairly quick. I will open her up and change the belt as I know its worn, noteworthy I think of all the years I have owned it only times I ever used the cable heater has been last winter.

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting?

Also, where can you buy Max OEM parts now, last I heard everything was up in the air?

Best Regards, Eldon

Sounds like the cable froze since turning on the heat helped. Perhaps it has finally accumulated enough moisture in the cable that freezing is a problem. Although in Mississippi that is not really a problem, but I have pulled my cable and hung it up to drain, blown air through it, and tried to blow penetrating oil through it to displace the moisture.

I think you are right. I will start with the cable though I would buy an OEM assembly if I could, It does act like its frozen

I have that problem about 7 months a year. If you have compressed air it’s easy. I pull the engine end off and remove the little boot. Slide a piece of 3/8 fuel hose over the metal end and clamp tight on the housing. With about 30 PSI blow an ounce of pure isopropyl alcohol (red heet) through the cable. Cover the throttle lever with a rag to stop gunk from blowing all over. I don’t bother adding lube anymore, just leave isopropyl in housing. Good luck.

I followed your advice and blew some isopropyl alcohol thru it. It wasn't froze in the heated garage today and the inner cable moves very freely. I do see where and how it could have froze yesterday as the lowest point in the cable is a gooseneck right at the base of the throttle lever touching the floor. It was 10 below yesterday and riding in the snow could have froze that low point and it would be precisely there that moisture would pool. I am searching for a new cable but listings are 100 inch long mine for sure would not exceed 60 inches overall.

my max 2 throttle cable moisture froze up . after i warmed it up with a hair dryer so it moved freely ... i took a small shringe and needle and squirted anti freeze in it . did'nt freeze up last nite at 17 deg . in the garage . johnboy va.

Warm garage and machine put out into very cold weather. Condensation formed inside the cable and then froze.

Thanks to all. I believe Mjbuck's response to be my case description. It was brutally cold and the garage was indeed warm. To add insult to injury the cable assembly goosenecks to its lowest point touching the floor at the base of the throttle lever, would be extremely cold there as snow continuously on the floor. I blew isopropyly alcohol thru it yesterday and it was working fine albeit in the garage. I often take it to remote places in the woods, sure don't need a breakdown there.

Am I correct in assuming there is no factory/manufacturer/part support for Max now?

my throttle cable also bows at the bottom of the floor then turns back up and to the carb . when i put 2 shringes worth of antifreeze in the cable housing , i think it pretty much filled that whole valley . not more stuck cable . also check out on the web the '' dry glide '' throttle cable . it's not heated but guaranteed not to freeze . jboy

dry glide cables must be out of business . can't find them . there is a product called '' dry slide '' in a can and comes with a needle to squirt into housing . prevents freeze up . good luck . js

+ Reply to Thread