hard cold engine start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hard cold engine start

hard cold engine start

in these really cold temps lately , it takes quite a bit of cranking to get the briggs vanguard to fire up . maybe everyone else in cold weather finds the same . i was just wondering if a primer squeeze bulb in the gas line would help . otherwise it may be just a squirt of carb cleaner in the carb to help get it going . thanks , johnboy va.

also choke is on to start . jboy

Give it half throttle while cranking at full choke.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I have a squeeze bulb plus as mentioned, full choke, half throttle and it fires up after 3 or 4 revolutions. That's at around the minus 10 Celsius or 14 F . Any colder than that and I don't need to go anywhere so if is colder than that it may not start. I think it would but I really don't care because it isn't going anywhere anyway. Are you using high octane fuel? There also is a difference apparently in winter and summer gas. Maybe where you are located the gas is the same all year round. I know up here the diesel fuel has a summer and winter rating. Tbone9 will know. I'm in the bananna belt compared to his location.

thanks guys .... as i crank with full choke i've been pumping the throttle ...so i'm going out now and do half throttle . lets see . does high octane fire up better and is it much better anyway for the briggs ? usually use regular . jboy

Just my own experience with the fuel bulb/primer: it helps me a lot. It seems that my fuel like to drain out pretty quickly, and if I don't prime it until I can hear it squirting into the carb bowl then I'm in for a very long crank time (just to get the fuel into the Carb). If your carb and lines are staying full though, then a primer bulb may not help you.
    As for the high octane fuel, there are a few benefits. Depending on where you live, it may contain a smaller percent (or just zero) ethanol in it, which is nice for our small engine fuel lines, gaskets, and pumps which sometimes don't play nicely with ethanol. It also stores a bit better than the ethanol stuff does (ethanol attracts water). I run it in all my small engines, but it's mostly just for the storage benefits.

thanks bennett ...i also will check the vacuum line from motor to the fuel pump . if it has a small leak , i may not be getting good pumping until the engine fires up running . does the primer bulb go on the fuel any place before the fuel pump thats easy to get to ? . i usually add some sta bil 360 ethanol treatment additive to the tank . j.b.

John you want to put an inline shut off near the tank, any tank vacuum would draw the fuel back in.
    Curious though, does your oil smell like gas?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

jim ...i do have a shutoff maybe halfway between the tank and fuel pump . i'll check the oil tomorrow for gas smell . so to stop vacuum from drawing fuel back should i shut the valve after running ? seems like it's just in this cold weather it takes more cranking to fire up , otherwise there's been no problem. thanks , j.b.

How cold has it been where you live and do you keep your machine indoors when you're not using it? Where I live it's been(relatively speaking) really cold. We had below zero temps for over a week recently, as low as -16?F. Several weeks prior and since of only single digits above zero and a few days with highs in the teens or 20's. My machine is kept in my garage but it's not heated. If I haven't ran it in a week or two it'll need choke to start but it fires in 2-3 seconds usually. If ran more frequently I dont even need choke. I used it to go ice fishing and it sat for probably 45 minutes in below zero temps and it fired right up. Should I consider myself extremely lucky?
    Just wanted to share so you had something to compare to....Cup

+ Reply to Thread