hard cold engine start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: hard cold engine start

thanks cup ...mine sits in the garage ..not heated either . lowest temps have been around 6 deg. anyway just got back from riding , decided to choke it to shut it off . it made no difference, the engine ran the same . come to find out , the choke cable had slipped in the clamp on the carb so i was getting no choke at all this whole time . re -adjusted the cable and choke now closes . simple fix . i will know tomorrow when i choke it and fire it up . i think in this cold it still takes a strong battery to crank the starter good . jboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    thanks cup ...mine sits in the garage ..not heated either . lowest temps have been around 6 deg. anyway just got back from riding , decided to choke it to shut it off . it made no difference, the engine ran the same . come to find out , the choke cable had slipped in the clamp on the carb so i was getting no choke at all this whole time . re -adjusted the cable and choke now closes . simple fix . i will know tomorrow when i choke it and fire it up . i think in this cold it still takes a strong battery to crank the starter good . jboy
    No problem jboy. That choke cable connection at the engine is kind of lame if ya ask me. At least it is on my motor. I'm guessing it's similar to yours even though they're different sizes but I could be wrong. On my motor it's held in place like the throttle cable but it's real sensitive to how tight the bracket bolt is. Even remotely tight and the choke plunger can hardly be pushed in and out. For it to function freely the bracket bolt has to be barely snug. Which doesn't seem right to me at all and I'm always worried about it coming loose from vibration. The cable jacket or sheathe whatever it's called moves under the bracket with little force that's how loose it has to be for the choke plunger to work easily. Hasn't been a problem yet so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed lol...Cup

cup...i realize now the choke cable and clamp are something i need to keep a eye on from time to time . should be a way to add another little clamp on the cable housing to keep it in place . check out my last post today '' cold cranking amps '' and see what you think . thanks, jb

You read my mind jb! An extra clamp or something to secure it in a different( better) way would be nice. Maybe make the end of the choke cable the same as a throttle cable?? Make it with the same metal end so the clamp can be tightened enough to secure it yet not impede the movement of the choke cable. Not trying to hijack your thread jb by saying this but I thought you might get a laugh out of it. Ironically enough my briggs vanguard will start easily in the coldest of temperatures and stay running no problem but I'll be damned if I can get it to run like it should ...Cup

Sorry Johnny, I haven't been online much lately to reply. You can put the primer bulb anywhere between the fuel tank and pump that you like, I keep mine close to the fuel tank so that I can pump it from the driver seat easily. Its nice both because I'm a tad bit lazy, and because if my fuel pump ever gives out on me, I can use that primer to force feed fuel to the motor to hopefully limp myself home. Or until my forearms give out, whichever comes first.

+ Reply to Thread