cranking amps cold motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cranking amps cold motor

cranking amps cold motor

well i discovered the reason the vanguard was hard to start cold was the choke cable had slipped in the clamp and was'nt even getting pulled on . easy fix . but the last few times if tried to start it cold , the starter won't turn over at first . this morning i tried it ...nothing . i choked it , pulled started twice and fired right up . ran it maybe 1/2 minute . turned it off and the tried the key start and it fired right up strong . it's a new starter solenoid and new lawn mower type battery . battery is rated 235 cca at 0 degrees and 280 at 35 deg . even after sitting a hour or so the starter fires it right up . is that $ 22 battery not that great after sitting all night in 20 deg garage ? thanks for input , johnboy

Hey JB,
    I'm having the same problem with mine. I've been keeping the charger on it all the time while its cold out.
    I think the problem is cheap batteries from Walmart that are over rated for CCA.
    Mine is less than a year old. I'm looking for a slightly larger battery now, and Ill spring for a quality brand, Deka or Interstate brands are very good.
    I have the same problem with my riding mower with 27 HP Kohler. No crank when very cold.
    Sometime quality over price is necessary.
    Mike.

John boy - I would go with automotive or marine type battery. Cost more $$ but worth the investment. I've read that the optima yellow top is ideal for these machines.

When I replaced my battery a while back I decided to go with a dual purpose battery because I intended on using it to run my trolling motor as well as start the motor. I didn't think such a thing existed in the size I needed to fit in my Max II but to my surprise I actually found an Interstate battery that was perfect. I remember being very conscious of the CCA because although it was important to me to get a high enough amp hour rating to suit my trolling motor needs I couldn't sacrifice starting capabilities to achieve that. I don't remember the specs but I could get them if someone was interested. I've had nothing but great experiences with all the Interstate batts I've bought over the years. I've even bought refurbished Interstate batts( core reimbursement batts that weren't dead afterall) roughly half the cost from a local authorized Interstate dealer and they're still going strong 4 years later...Cup

thanks guys ... after pull starting it this morning , running it maybe a minute then turning it off , it fired up with the starter right away . i rode it maybe 3 different times today and each time it fired right up . last ride was at 4 pm . went back to the garage at 7 : 30 pm , turned the key and just a click . i put the battery jump box on and it read 13 v. turned the jump box on and still nothing but a click , starter not even turning over . so why is it working 2 or 3 times then later nothing at all ? got me kind of stumped . when it does start with the starter its quick . maybe the key switch ? bad connection somewhere ? sure does'nt seem like it's the battery unless somethings drawing it down after 3 hrs. or so of not running . but the battery read good . any more ideas ? my neighbors jumpbox , maybe it was'nt charged . will try jumping with car in the morn. anything else to check ? jboy

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    My engine would turn over when cold if I held the switch on the start position. Now I know that is what you are supposed to do, but when the key was turned to the start position, nothing would happen for 2 or 3 seconds but then the engine would turn over. Warmed up it would start without the lag time. Came to find out the battery the battery was the culprit. I replaced the battery with the recommended Interstate original equipment battery. Turns over immediately and turns the engine over very fast.

thanks laird ...i sure would think the battery jump box would put enough juice in to fire it up . jb

o.k. ...so this morning i try the starter and nothing . i check the battery voltage and it's 13 v . hookup the jumpbox , still nothing , just 1 click on the solenoid . i take a piece of dowel and hammer and tap the starter and i fires right up . try it a few times and it's good ' comeback after a while , try the key . nothing . tap starter it starts . at one point i jump across new solenoid starter goes . so maybe the starter is going bad ? also the original solenoid was mounted on the starter . i could'nt get the new one there without pulling the motor so i mounted it on a short piece of flatbar off the motor on another spot . is that not a good idea ? so that's where i'm at now . thanks jboy

well ..after my neighbor came over and we electric tested the battery and solenoid , etc. conclusion is it's a bad starter . must be a worn spot on the armature . it may crank up 8 times in a row and then won't , depending on where the starter stops turning . thanks for all the help . maybe if down the line someone faces the same problem this will help . that's what's nice about this site . johnboy va.

Glad you figured it out

+ Reply to Thread