Attex Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex Rebuild

Attex Rebuild

Hi All! I'm completely new to the forum and to the world of 6x6's. I'll start with a little bit about me. I'm a early 50's, disabled industrial electrician. I spent years building and repairing factories and equipment. I was also an avid motorcycle enthusiast...if the weather was nice, and I had the free time I was out on 2 wheels. A work injury to my back ended my motorcycle career, so about 10 years ago I got into trikes. A trike is nice, but living in northern Michigan, I began to realize you really can only use it in nice weather. That's typically a Thursday in late June in my area. Not a very good return on investment. So I started thinking about other modes of transportation that would multipurpose. I first looked at quads, but steering those hurt an already broken back. Side by sides are ok, but if I wanted a Jeep, I'd just buy a Jeep. Then I started to look at Argos. For an early retired/disabled guy, they're just out of my price range. BUT....I used to build entire factories. Certainly I could figure out how to build a 6x6 "crawler" for use around my 10 acres, right? I came across an old Mechanic's Illustrated article showing how to build one, and decided I was going to modernize that design. One day a buddy of mine stopped by and saw me working on the computer and asked what I was working on, so I showed him. He asked me why, so I explained. He said, no, I don't understand why you don't just take my uncle's old 6x6. He's been trying to GIVE it away for years. A couple of quick phone calls later, and I'm going to be picking up an Attex (no idea what year or model) in a couple of weeks.

I've been scouring the internet since that conversation with my friend, looking for a video series, or even a photo series of someone else's rebuild of an Attex. There are plenty of Argo rebuilds, and a lot of POST rebuild Attex videos, racing and such....so here's my question:

Does anyone know of a complete, from the ground up, step-by-step rebuild series of an Attex? I know mine is going to need a lot of work. It was part in 2000 and hasn't moved out of the pole barn where it is since.

I don't know of any step-by-step Attex rebuilds on the site, but there are a lot of albums or series of pictures with progress pictures and I'm sure most of us would be glad to answer any questions. They're pretty simple machines and with your background you'll probably have no real problems. I have a couple albums with progress pictures in the gallery that may give some idea.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread