2016-17 Frontier with Heavy Duty Bush Tracks - What trans is required?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016-17 Frontier with Heavy Duty Bush Tracks - What trans is required?

2016-17 Frontier with Heavy Duty Bush Tracks - What trans is required?

I am looking to buy a 2016-2017 Frontier Scout (most likely) and am wondering about the low torque transmission. Is it required to have the High Torque trans? or will the standard trans work.

I am hunting in Alaska. Caribou Hills upto Petersville and Healy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Must haves?

I have a 2015 Argo Frontier 8x8 with the low geared transmission and Adair heavy duty grouser / gear reduction tracks. I seldom use the low range at all, maybe one acception is when pulling large utvs out of being stuck. I think as a result of my experience and from what I've observed during group rides, is that the standard transmission should be sufficient in 98% of most scenarios.

The low geared transmission will cut top speed down. It will give you stout gears to climb hills and pull heavy loads however.
    It really depends on what your needs are. Keep in mind that the standard tranny in low gear will still give considerable grunt.

I think for most people the standard tranny would be the better all around choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaska View Post
    I am looking to buy a 2016-2017 Frontier Scout (most likely) and am wondering about the low torque transmission. Is it required to have the High Torque trans? or will the standard trans work.

I am hunting in Alaska. Caribou Hills upto Petersville and Healy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Must haves?

100 percent agree with Noel, I have seen his tracked Frontier go through the most impossible mud you can imagine without ever bogging down and pull out 4x4's that couldn't move in that awful Texas mud. keep in mind that those Bush tracks considerably lower your over all gear ratio and top speed, I think you would do well with a standard transmission.

My current Argo is a 2018 Frontier LE, which is the exact same model as the scout except it comes in green. I'm not sure about the 2016-17 models ,but the Scouts and LE came with a 26.5 HP Kohler which helps turn heavy tracks, however I wouldn't even think of not having the HT/3.3 low gear tranny running those tracks in the Alaskan slop with with all the weight you plan to put in it. It will save wear and tear on your machine (clutch belt) and keep the rpms down.

I run big tracks (22'" Chanels on my Conquest and 22" Adairs currently) in the deep snow here in the Rockies and I actually pulled my tranny that had the standard gear set and shipped it to Argo Adventure in South Dakota and had them put in the low gear set immediately before putting my tracks on. I got such a good deal on my Scout/LE that I just factored in the cost of the gear swap as part of the cost of the machine. If you are a handy guy you could swap the gear set yourself. On the flat with the low gear set your top speed is about 16-17 mph and 20 with the high gear set. I doubt you care about speed in your scenario.

Here is another thing to consider that I found out after I purchased my machine that would also be a big benefit for your use. In the mid year of 2018 Argo upgraded The LE/Scout (and all 8x8 Frontiers) to the larger (heavier duty) 1.375" (normally 1 1/4") axles and the off set/reversible rims that don't require using the bolt on spacers for tracks. on Argo Adventures website they list the serial number range of the 2018 models that have these upgrades under the section on "manuals".

How much did it cost to ship the trans to them for the lower gear set and shipped back please. Thanks.

The gear set was around $400 and shipping and labor was around another $400.

awesome! Thanks!

I found out last night that, it's possible to split the admiral trans and change gearing in that as well for about the same money by Argo Whisperer in Anc. So that is great news for anyone looking.

+ Reply to Thread