Oil plug fell out!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil plug fell out!

Oil plug fell out!

has anyone heard of your oil plug unscrewing out while you are driving? Happened to me and I can't figure it out. I got the machine 2014 750 HDI last summer. Changed the oil with an oil extractor and used it for 2 weeks in the bush hunting. used it a couple more times before winter and twice in winter. the second time I was driving over alot of snow drifts going to ice fishing hole and while going back the oil lite came on. come to find out the oil plug had spun out and all the oil rushed out. I'm stumped as to how this happened. any theories? maybe a hit loosened it and vibration helped it out? i said this to insurance but i'm sure they think its BS.....so if anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

I just saw your ad on kijiji. Sorry to hear that. I've never heard of that happening. They are NTP threads so the more you screw them in the tighter they get. Mabey the previous owner didn't tighten it down or cross threaded it?

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    I just saw your ad on kijiji. Sorry to hear that. I've never heard of that happening. They are NTP threads so the more you screw them in the tighter they get. Mabey the previous owner didn't tighten it down or cross threaded it?
    cross thread was a no and if they hadn't tightened the plug then I would have expected it to show up in my two weeks of hunting as the terrain where we go is challenging in itself. Months later kinda makes no sense but does provide a possibility. when I inspected the plug it had pipe dope on it. I did manage to put the plug in and tightened it as tight as possible. thanks for the reply

Its the only thing I can think of. Did the engine seize? Or do you just not trust it?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I have come across several different engine manufacturers that have used the turn and pull oil drain system, usually a yellow or black plastic unit that you stick a piece of hose on come loose right from the factory, but can't say I have personally had any NPT plugs come loose. That being said I have had several units come in that the plugs were leaking and finger tight. These were NOT put in from the factory but by someone who had done some maintenance beforehand. Have never found a factory plug loose. Not saying it can't happen because it most certainly can. Generally briggs plugs have red lock tight when new and so tight they are hard to get out. If there is teflon tape or other on the plug.....if someone has just put it in finger tight it may take quite awhile to work itself out if it does come out. As you unfortunately found out.

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    Its the only thing I can think of. Did the engine seize? Or do you just not trust it?

yes the engine did sieze. bearing spun off and don't know what the damage will be. we had filled it with oil and tightened the plug and tested compression and it all looked great and thought I got away with one but that didn't happen.

sounds like thats what happened to me. just strange that no oil was leaking out as I'm always checking the oil before going out on a regular basis. just an old school thing taught on the farm.

That is unfortunate. Good luck with the engine search! That is one of those things you would never think to look at untill it happens

yep your right. probably because its so damn hard even getting to it ! you would think after ALL these years they would have made it easier to do an oil change with the plug or give you an extractor with your new argo purchase !

Yea it's it's bit of a PITA. I've been looking into a remote drain hose for mine so I can drain it to a pan in the foot well.the bottom of my tub always has some oil from trying to drain into a bag. Not a great solution.

+ Reply to Thread