I have a early 1990's Vanguard with the 16hp v twin. Its new to me and I am trying to sort it out.

For some yet unknown reason the governor springs were hooked up all backwards. The governor spring held the throttle closed?? So it did not balance the governor and relied entirely on throttle setting. I suspect the idle spring is stock, but the governor spring I do not not know.

Anyway as I work through trying to tune I have some questions.

1. I am trying to set the no load (in neutral) idle at about 1075 rpm. Just cause that sounds right to me. What do others suggest?

2. I am trying to set the governor no load to be about 3600 rpm at full throttle. At full throttle that is about 3300 at speed in gear. Should I set it for 3600 at speed in gear - that make more sense to me?

3. When suddenly throttling up it will surge 4 or 5 times before settling down at full throttle. Since the governor was all messed up, I feel comfortable its not the carb. Plus I have removed and cleaned pilot and main jets (not whole carb though) Any thoughts - I assume governor springs etc but can find no specs.

Now it remains twitchy with RPMs not staying stable after throttle up. It returns to 1100 at one time the 1300 the next. I assume that is some sticky linkages - plus they are a little sloppy.

Experience to me would say carb, but after messing with it, I am leaning to governor issue.

Any thoughts ??