New Owner of Early 70's Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Owner of Early 70's Argo

New Owner of Early 70's Argo

Hello,

Back in November I picked up this really crusty looking Argo.

Looks to be early 70's. It has an ABS body and Fat Cat Tires.

The bones are good. It has a new 420cc engine and everything moved as it should.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1Nu3fWGkKTm5AeJ8

I have spent the winter getting it going again.

I cleaned up the chains, Changed the fluids, mended some of the cracks in the body. It still has some real large holes. But I do not intend to make this thing float.

I got new wheels and tires for it and souped up the engine a little with a higher flowing exhaust and a 32mm Keihin Carb Clone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3s8Wgg1i1rV47jKa6

So far it has been a blast. I still need to get a stronger clutch and the proper sized belt. The cheap clutch I started with broke and engaged instantly while I was backing up and blew out my reverse gear.

But it still moves forward in low and high gear. So I will worry about reverse later.

Right now I am planning for any other repairs that might come up.

What parts are still available for an Argo this old?

My current concern is bearings. These seem to be in good order. They are not making any noise and do not have any slop. But I am sure as I start using it the way I intend, that may change. Are bearings easily attainable? Something I could find at the local farm store? Or even from Argo?

Let me know your thoughts.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Depending on your location, the majority of farm supply stores, machine shops, automotive supply stores will have access to supply for bearings and seals. Shop around because prices vary. Also depends on quality. I can buy offshore bearings to fit for 6 to 8 bucks. Same place sells one to fit for 48 bucks. The ones I used were around 15. Depends on usage and your budget. There are a couple of different styles. Buy the best you can for what you can afford.

nice machine wes ....if your in the states , some of us buy from buffalo bearings co. n.y. they seem to know a fair amount about these aatv's . and sell a wide variety of bearings for different budgets . have fun riding wherever you live . johnboy va.
    o

Down the road, I would like to fix reverse. How easy is it to get transmission parts.

transmission parts for the older units are very hard to come by. You might have some luck finding an entire replacement transmission, or having a machine shop make up new gears possibly.

My wife was really enjoying the test trials on our Argo.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cJJmxLI3Pms?feature=share
    Last edited by wesleygarrard; 04-01-2022 at 04:45 PM.

well it really scoots along ! good thing the front left headlite was gone before you hit the tree ...... have fun , great video jboy

+ Reply to Thread