Engine rebuild starts tomorrow

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine rebuild starts tomorrow

Engine rebuild starts tomorrow

[/IMG]Parts arrived yesterday to rebuild the engine in my bigfoot. The nasty little gremlin did a bit of damage. But caught it in time. Its disassembled and waiting. Should be ready and running by the weekend. There's a picture of the gremlin in the gallery that always popped out at the worst time. When it wasn't around the engine was smooth and quiet. How it got there and when, I don't know. Nevertheless you just can't beat the pure pleasure of these machines.
    Last edited by BF6X6; 07-09-2022 at 08:52 PM.

bf ...glad to hear it will be up and running soon ! it's nice when you know how to do the repairs yourself . i never was much for rebuilding motors , i would rather make something weird then stick a good motor on it . what motor is it and what needs to be done ? johnboy va.

Mr Swenson good day to you. The motor is an 18hp vanguard. Due to the gremlin, I dismantled it to see if there was any unforseen damage. All in all there wasn't much. The engine had 598hrs on it without being dismantled. So it got a rebuild. Just finished it up last night and clamped it to my bench for the fire up. With the bit of massaging done to the heads, it doesn't require much throttle to rev up. Hoping to drop it back in the minion tonight. Be nice to have more power, smoother running engine. One thing that took some vibes away, not all, was balancing the pistons and rod assemblies. There was enough of difference that would drive me to the resort with the long sleeve sweaters, with the big brass buckles, if I didn't.
    Good to chat with you sir!

Sorry I didn't mention what did. My apologies.
    When apart, it got rings, valves, valve springs with the hardware, valve seals, bearing, bushing, all the seals, gaskets, and for desert the carb got a good bath and rebuild.

Well the engine is in. Time for a test drive tomorrow. Starting better, smother. I'll see how it does tomorrow, with response, and running temps. Damn I love these machines.

Did you intend to have your avatar 90 degrees off?

That I did not intend to. It ended up like that and I haven't been able to correct it.

sounds like you did a super job and now a great running motor . i had a 18 hp briggs in my max 2 , they are good motors . went to a 23 hp briggs for a little more power . the trade off is ..the 23 seems to heat up easier . so i run a fan to withdraw it from the engine compartment in hot weather and that works . never had that with the 18 hp. have some fun riding now ! j. boy

I've heard that they are good motors except for heat. Not much room for heat dissipation. So far the 18 is not running to hot. But haven't been out for a long haul yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll give it a good run for awhile. The road I'm near is boggy as heck in a alot of areas. And easy recovery if something goes sour. 99%of the time I run by myself. In areas where walking out is an absolute nightmare. Snowshoes in the bogs is handy. Gets lots of laughs. Till the ones laughing try it. They don't laugh after that.

Went out for a long cruise. 50kms out then back and no problems. Running well. Now if I can get the materials to build a set of tracks without costing a small fortune I'll be happy. For now just use the surroundings to my advantage. The places I go with just tires is wicked. Tracks will just make it better. If funds prevail, they will happen.

+ Reply to Thread