Burnt smell from T20 atf

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burnt smell from T20 atf

Burnt smell from T20 atf

Hi. When we were out riding our Max IV, the smell of burnt atf could be smelled coming from the engine compartment.
    The engine and trans did get very hot on this ride. We let it cool down a few times. On the return trip I noticed the Max would lose left turning ability, but not completely.
    When we got near home the left turns seemed normal again.
    Today we pulled the trans out and cracked it open. It seemed to have all it's fluid, as a lot had come out from the right half.
    The bands in the right half still have their lining.(I feared they were damaged.)
    The burnt smell was something we never experienced before, nor a loss of some turning ability. A quik search indicated if there is no damage then just drain the burnt fluid and add fresh fluid. Easy enough.
    We will look at the left side bands next. If I don't see any damage we will put it back together and add fresh fluid.

Question...
    Is this considered 'normal' (burnt atf smell and slight loss of braking ability) if the T20 over-heats?
    We've never experienced this smell before, and I guess I need reassurance. Lol
    Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Wow! I wonder if there is some kind of issue with ATF right now (+ the heat). This is what happened to me racing last weekend, right after the straight away and in to 1st turn. I pulled off of the track then started again after it seemed like I full steering again, after half a lap, I had issues turning the other direction and engine seemed to bog out, so I dropped out of the race, but left the engine running and was able to just drive back to the pits. The AFT was dark (and we do need to at least replace seals by the sprockets). The fluid was like this on a max racer that had a T20 break last month as well - We might finally be moving to gear oil.

I talked with some of the guys that know these t20s more than I do and they recommended gear oil which makes sense. The only reason I haven’t switched is because it gets below zero here in the winter, maybe that doesn’t matter.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread