Life Expectancy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life Expectancy

Life Expectancy

Looked at a 2010 Argo Avenger HDi with the 31hp Kohler today. Chain tensioners, bearings, frame, etc. all good, replaced as needed by dealership. Engine has just shy of 800 hours, or right about 800 hours. No smoke, drove fine.

Realistically, how many hours is too many on one of these machines, particularly the engine? I get maintenance plays a huge part but at what point does one say that's just too much?

Thanks

Breadstain there's a person who lives a few streets away from me who has roughly 2500hrs on his Argo. Its Early,maybe mid 90's. Works great. I myself have a 97 bigfoot that has almost at 700hrs now. I've rebuilt the motor due to a bolt in the engine I found when it developed an intermittent miss. When I got it 2yrs ago I checked it over found a bolt missing on the air filter housing. 2yrs of driving it I found it. So technically what I am trying to say is that they're reliable and tough machines. If used as they're intended to be used. Maintenance is also a key factor. But drive them like a quad ,or thinking they will, will you won't be happy with one. I myself will never be without one again. The places I can escape to without quads following is very peaceful to me. And fun as heck.
    Now I am a person who doesn't worry about what hrs or kms/miles are on anything. If its been maintained well and properly then hours are not as much of an issue. That's just my 2 cents worth.

A well maintained machine can last you many years. The amount of time for wearable items will vary depending on the usage and how hard the machine is used. A well serviced engine and transmission should last many years.
    The chaiins, bearings, adjusters and sprockets are all wearable items. Keep the items lubed well and you should get several years out of them. Keep water out of the machine as well as possible.
    Check tire pressure before usage. Keep the body clean, and you should get many years service out of the machine.
    By the way, that's one of the better machines Argo has produced, and it sounds like the dealer has got you taken care of in getting the machine serviced.

sounds like it should be a good purchase . you can usually tell from all you mentioned that it's been well taken care of and not abused . good riding and have fun ! johnboy va.

Yeah everything else seems fine and the dealer who is selling has been working with it since it was new. I checked things out myself, not just taking anyones word for it. Biggest concern is the engine. What I don’t want is a massive project on the engine soon. I purchased into numerous new projects with the house I just bought and I’m about to add a third kid. The most use it’s going to see is going to be plowing a pretty long driveway. As long as I should be good to go with that, I’m fine.

I appreciate your feedback. It’s all speculative l, of course, with any specific machine but if it’s a long lived engine, perhaps I’ll do it.

One of the posters here, whom I absolutely respect and listen to (he's a mechanic), tells me the Kohler 25 in my Max IV should last a 1,000 hours before it should be overhauled. The engine runs as good as it did at 69 hours (when we bought it) as it does now (about 800 or so). I have no doubt it can last a lot longer than that.
    Maintenance is key. What you put into it is whatvyou get out of it.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

my good friend and former member here had just shy of 5000 hours on his avenger before having catastrofic failure.the transmission grenaded and the engine is baffed on his 700 avenger.hes in the process of a complete rebuild right now.im sure your good at 800 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    my good friend and former member here had just shy of 5000 hours on his avenger before having catastrofic failure.the transmission grenaded and the engine is baffed on his 700 avenger.hes in the process of a complete rebuild right now.im sure your good at 800 hours.
    Tell NCT Hey for me.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Tell NCT Hey for me.
    lol,you nailed it argo jim..

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Not a big fan of the Kohler engines, good engine, somewhat more pricier than a Briggs to fix but they are all getting that way. Frequent oil changes, proper cooling, and leaving the governor alone will help to prolong the engine life. The engine is designed to run wide open under load, thus the governor, for sustained time periods ex. cutting a large lawn. Most people don't run the Argo wide open for long periods of time, low to mid rpms a lot of the time. 2-3000 hrs is not out of the way. Things do happen as we all know with anything mechanical.

+ Reply to Thread