Splined, Shearpinned or Bolt-through Axles?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Splined, Shearpinned or Bolt-through Axles?

Question Splined, Shearpinned or Bolt-through Axles?

Just wondering,On an ATV,taking everything into consideration,[rust,breakage and just wear and tear]axles and sprockets would be best splined,shearpinned or through bolt.Or any other method you are aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp witch View Post
    Just wondering,On an ATV,taking everything into consideration,[rust,breakage and just wear and tear]axles and sprockets would be best splined,shearpinned or through bolt.Or any other method you are aware of.
    splined the onily way . rob .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

depends on the machine and axle size. if your talking a new machine with 1 1/4" axles then i would rank it spline, keyed, bolted then pined. on an older machine with axles 1" or smaller, i'd use bolts or pins. the smaller axles have more of chance of bending or breaking, so the bolt or pin makes a nice fuse. it can break instead of the axle or sprocket tube
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I agree with earlier posts bigger axles with splines is nice. I am glad i got shear bolts on my ATTEX though saved me a few times from not breaking an axle.

The axles are 30mm [about 1/16 larger than 1 1/4] solid 60 tonne torsional steel bar.I choose this over 1 1/4 as it is a 3rd of the price here,we are a metric country sorta,still gettin' there after about 20 years.As I'm building from scratch price is considered.Thank for answering boys.
    Last edited by swamp witch; 11-01-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyColt222 View Post
    I agree with earlier posts bigger axles with splines is nice. I am glad i got shear bolts on my ATTEX though saved me a few times from not breaking an axle.
    i actually broke an axle at the bolt in my attex last month, but i think it was caused by another problem. i had lost a bead in a mud pit... got the tire aired back up, but it had about 40lb of water/ mud in it
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My 4 wheel buggy snapped the rear axle 1 1/4 after a 10 foot high jump but it snapped at the end of the keyway which is why I ask about attaching sprocket to axle connections.Keyway takes about a 1/4 of the bar out for the key,drilling a hole through the bar for shearpin etc,I lose about a 1/3.Spline seams the go.Are your machines fine spline or course.How many teeth on 1 1/4 approx.Also if I'm not annoying you to much,your opinion on drive chain,simplex or duplex[1 row or 2] It is 50 I'm using.

all of the aatv's i know of that use splines are coarse but i think fine would require less material be removed from the axle. (whipper would be the guy on here to ask about splines...) as for chain, it depends how heavy your machine will be and hp/ gearing. my old argo at 1100lb ran 2/50 chain. i have 2 attex and a max that are on the 500-700lb range and run 1/50 (actually the final drive on the max is 1/40). hope that helps

I would agree with splines being the beefiest. The only draw back that I can think of with splines is in 40yrs it would be harder to take apart. That is the good thing with the bolts. Take bolts out and run it and the hubs/sprockets come loose. But if the weight of the machine is down, bolts work good and easy to make too. If your higher horses and/or heavier I would go splined. Like racerone3 stated most are coarser. The gato montes is the only one I can think of thats fine splined. I also agree 100% with racerone3 with the chains.

Cool Axle pin

Just watch my different ways for the splined 1 1/4" axles:

https://youtu.be/jzq65ifEhWc

Jens
    Last edited by Hauderer; 06-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread