Two Hour Job

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two Hour Job

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.

Two Hour Job

SOOOOOO, what was supposed to be a two hour job (in my mind) ended five days later. I came on a deal that gave me four splined axles, for my Vanguard, one for a Bigfoot, three bearing extensions, aluminum bearing retainers, flanges, cork gaskets, two complete brake units and some other goodies. I decided to put the tracks back on and discovered a bad bearing, hence the two hour job. However, I figured that the bearing extensions would be a good upgrade because of the tracks. This turned into a bit of a nightmare. It also ended up that when all said and done the extensions are on, along with five more new bearings, couple of seals, center axle on one side had a bad bearing. Being retired I should have had the job done in a couple of days but being retired I couldn't seem to find the time. Any one who is retired can relate to that one.

Lol been there before... actually I'm in the middle of doing it again with a mid 80s 6x6 i/c I picked up at the start of this summer. The bearings can be a real MF sometimes. But it's nice when it's all done.

you know what they say .. '' once you retire you never have a day off '' . sounds like you did a good job , and it's satisfying when done . have fun riding . jboy va.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    The area where I live has been screwed up pretty bad for atvs due to high powered quads and people who have no respect for private or public property. Most places are fenced or private property and the one thing I use the Argo for is to get to a hunting area. I could walk in but dragging a deer out is not much fun. The trail used to go from one concession to another, but again due to idiots that trail has been fenced off. I am allowed on a property to hunt and to take the Argo back to retrieve an animal but have to walk in and then out to get the Argo. Better than having to drag a deer out. I am afraid one of these days the area that I have hunted for 25 years will be fenced off from any vehicles of any sort and if so there will be an Argo up for sale. So my riding is very limited. In the winter with the tracks on it is a different story.

Yea we have the same issues up here with the souped up side by sides with 6" wide 40" tall tires tearing everything up. Trail ruts have gotten ridiculous in some places over the last couple years. I don't understand why atv tire options changed to dig down instead of stay on top

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    Yea we have the same issues up here with the souped up side by sides with 6" wide 40" tall tires tearing everything up. Trail ruts have gotten ridiculous in some places over the last couple years. I don't understand why atv tire options changed to dig down instead of stay on top
    Trust me a video of a guy creepin through everything smoothly isn't as cool as guy slinging mud everywhere. Lol

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    Not being too far from your location its got totally out of hand i see units with just ludicrous tall tractor style tires on the trails are ruined and any hill sections now have wash outs that stick even the tallest tire trails that i have used going back to the seventy's are totaled and then they move over and start again, after the covid dealeo property up here changed hands and the newest (part time)northerners have bought land with existing trails and one look they closed no trespass signage cropped up like dandelions and the amount of wheelers sxs and all manner of off road units Argos included tripled so trespass has become a huge issue i fear our snowmobile club is in serious trouble as whats good for the goose is good for the gander thinking so our trail system that passes thru most private land is gone even local long time landowners have had it, and once more the few ruin it for all it is a shame that in a place like Ontario we have so few areas that ATV clubs have got together with landowners and the local snomo clubs to designate atv areas and maintain and regulate the use those areas that turn a blind eye to rake in tourist dollars and do not address the growth in the off-road industry are setting themselves up for failure of year round trail use years ago i switched out to dual wheels for the spring and fall hunt to limit damage and ride basically spanning huge deep ruts it worked xlnt and actually helped roll down a lot of damage but others looked at a machine with 16 wheels and thought OMG that will destroy our land no win situation. CT Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Trust me a video of a guy creepin through everything smoothly isn't as cool as guy slinging mud everywhere. Lol
    Yea that's true lol

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Not being too far from your location its got totally out of hand i see units with just ludicrous tall tractor style tires on the trails are ruined and any hill sections now have wash outs that stick even the tallest tire trails that i have used going back to the seventy's are totaled and then they move over and start again, after the covid dealeo property up here changed hands and the newest (part time)northerners have bought land with existing trails and one look they closed no trespass signage cropped up like dandelions and the amount of wheelers sxs and all manner of off road units Argos included tripled so trespass has become a huge issue i fear our snowmobile club is in serious trouble as whats good for the goose is good for the gander thinking so our trail system that passes thru most private land is gone even local long time landowners have had it, and once more the few ruin it for all it is a shame that in a place like Ontario we have so few areas that ATV clubs have got together with landowners and the local snomo clubs to designate atv areas and maintain and regulate the use those areas that turn a blind eye to rake in tourist dollars and do not address the growth in the off-road industry are setting themselves up for failure of year round trail use years ago i switched out to dual wheels for the spring and fall hunt to limit damage and ride basically spanning huge deep ruts it worked xlnt and actually helped roll down a lot of damage but others looked at a machine with 16 wheels and thought OMG that will destroy our land no win situation. CT Cheers
    Yep I've seen the sled trails change quite a few times up here over the years because they keep getting torn up
    . I used to help keep the sled trails clear of trees around my town but now I don't dare ride those trails lest the new land owner stop the trail completely. It sucks. realy is the beginning of the end of an era.

Also 16 wheels sounds wild! I gotta see a picture of your machine!

+ Reply to Thread