greasing outer bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: greasing outer bearings

greasing outer bearings

Does anyone have a good way to grease the outer bearings? Its hard to reach around and get tot he zerts with tires on? Do you have to remove the wheels to get to them or?
    Steven Untiet

i remove the tires to grease mine. then you know you got them good.

Newer style axles have a hole you can insert your grease nozzle with the tire on. Old style you gotta remove the tire. pump it till you start to see grease around the outter seal and while its jacked up might as well give the axles a wiggle to check for a possible worn bearing.

also...those fittings that go on the end of a grease gun hose and then clamp to the zert fitting really help . lets you use 2 hands to pump in the grease. jboy

+1 for removing the tire to grease bearings. Looks like a bigfoot in your profile picture with 25" tires on. I have a vanguard 2 with 22" tires on and can just reach around them to grease the bearing and axle seal. Also use marine grease l. It's built for it

Guy I bought the machine from used Argo brand grease. I would assume this is just branded marine grease and should work fine, Anyone have any thoughts about the Argo brand line up of lubricants? That is what the previous owner has used since the machine was new?
    Steven Untiet

i would imagine its like brining your car back to the dealership or going to a local mechanic shop for a service. you can probably just buy the lubricants you need at a hardware store and its for the most part the same grease for example but with argo written on it. for things like engine oil or tranny oil then i would lean toward the recommended Argo or manufacturer brand stuff but generic stuff grease,chain oil id just find something you think works best for you. But there is that piece of mind feeling using the "branded" stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    +1 for removing the tire to grease bearings. Looks like a bigfoot in your profile picture with 25" tires on. I have a vanguard 2 with 22" tires on and can just reach around them to grease the bearing and axle seal. Also use marine grease l. It's built for it
    Iam with Plotthound and Facemelter on this one best time to check any play in the bearing/axle shaft get any built up weeds fishing line what have you cleaned out and a rotate of tires the fronts take the brunt of the wear.NCT

I've seen attachments on argos (I think mudd-ox might even offer them on one of their new models as well) that appear to be extended grease lines that all run back to a common point near the back of the machine. I believe they are called "remote grease lines". That way, you can grease all the bearings from one easily accessible point without removing the tires or tracks. It would be super useful to have, especially if you're out in the woods for a few days at a time running the machine hard and would like to add some grease before you're back home. On the other hand though, they add a potential failure point. I've never heard anything about how well they hold up. At least if they do break though, they aren't a critical part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett20200 View Post
    I've seen attachments on argos (I think mudd-ox might even offer them on one of their new models as well) that appear to be extended grease lines that all run back to a common point near the back of the machine. I believe they are called "remote grease lines". That way, you can grease all the bearings from one easily accessible point without removing the tires or tracks. It would be super useful to have, especially if you're out in the woods for a few days at a time running the machine hard and would like to add some grease before you're back home. On the other hand though, they add a potential failure point. I've never heard anything about how well they hold up. At least if they do break though, they aren't a critical part.
    Yep great deal a centralized setup for the inside but not practical for outer wheel bearing setup atleast the style Argo has used fracturing lines and fitting on the outer bearing would be common place i have seen outer bearing grease fittings get snapped off sticks rocks u name it thrashing around between the wheel and bearing mount but i would luv to have that setup for all the bearings inside the tub.Cheers

+ Reply to Thread