convert skid steering in to handlebar steering.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: convert skid steering in to handlebar steering.

convert skid steering in to handlebar steering.

how do I convert skid steering in a argo with handlebar steering?

I was a passenger on a test ride once, and that's it, but nobody else answered yet, so:
    The new Argo models still have skid steering but it is applied through handlebars.
    I don't think it can reverse one side and forward the other, though.
    If you need that you might find the easiest way is to sell the Argo that has handlebars and buy a vehicle that does what you want.
    The Mudd-Ox XL website says it can counter-rotate (last time I was here they also sponsored this forum).
    I didn't see anything about how the driver steers it, I choked on $729 per month.
    Then I went back to verify the numbers and the next line says "XL with standard steering lever controls".

If I had to convert an Argo to stick steer and counter-rotate I would start with the parts for a Zero-turn lawn mower of similar horsepower, but I've seen retail on those upwards of $5K.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzart View Post
    Having had both levers and t bar in a argo my personal preference is the levers,only real advantage i have seen with t bar is u can drive one handed if needed its a real process to convert and would require parts and welding skills not worth it.JMO NCT Cheers PS if you have a lever steer machine it would not have counter rotation it would be true skid steer and prior to the Admiral Trans.

i would think if there was access to the shaft that runs up to the argo handlebars ... that at a point on that shaft about halfway between the floor and the t bar , that a short piece of flatbar could be welded horizontal on each side of that shaft . then using a bellcrank on each side of the shaft mounted on the floor .. pulling back on a lever would pull down on the flatbar ..which would be the same as turning the shaft with the t bar. i know it sounds easy ...but as north county said , a person would need to be able to fabricate and weld , etc. the idea is to rotate the shaft pulling back a stick instead of turning it with a t bar . just fun thinking about it . johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i would think if there was access to the shaft that runs up to the argo handlebars ... that at a point on that shaft about halfway between the floor and the t bar , that a short piece of flatbar could be welded horizontal on each side of that shaft . then using a bellcrank on each side of the shaft mounted on the floor .. pulling back on a lever would pull down on the flatbar ..which would be the same as turning the shaft with the t bar. i know it sounds easy ...but as north county said , a person would need to be able to fabricate and weld , etc. the idea is to rotate the shaft pulling back a stick instead of turning it with a t bar . just fun thinking about it . johnboy va.
    John funny story since my Avenger is one of the first built eons ago i pulled masters and calipers for new pads and fluid and clean up the rotors i reassembled the machine headed out and turn the t bar right the machine went left i almost fell out what is going on well with t bar the master on the right side controls the left caliper and vice versa which is completely bass akwards to sticks i shook my head at the rookie move swapped lines re bled and we were good.NCT Cheers

nct.....that sounds like quite a surprise ! glad you stayed in .i've always had max 2's with lever steering . i drove a new argo 6 wheel at busco a couple of years ago . i felt like it would take some getting use to . just something about levers that sets apart aatv's . more like a bobcat or dozer feel . have fun jboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    nct.....that sounds like quite a surprise ! glad you stayed in .i've always had max 2's with lever steering . i drove a new argo 6 wheel at busco a couple of years ago . i felt like it would take some getting use to . just something about levers that sets apart aatv's . more like a bobcat or dozer feel . have fun jboy
    Yup John i have been in this game since the age of 10 had multiple machines pretty much all lever units its just more natural to me to run a skid steer unit with twin sticks also run or ran dozers excavators although the last dozer was joystick lol.nct

Quote Originally Posted by Danzart View Post
    I would NEVER do it.

Although I have not tried the newest rendition where there is a spring load mechanism that gives it more of a steering wheel feel myself i would have to try it out to really be able to form a opinion that said i get what they are going for which is casting a net across a greater customer base that to some skid steer vehicles seem hard to drive and i assume there is some way to make it more direct to maneuver in tight spots but old school me the Max IV i had for awhile was super in the tight spots as well as my Attex both stick units its all what you are use to i dont hate my t bar Argo and would not spend the time to back it up to sticks but would have been likely happier had it came that way.Cheers NCT

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    If I had hydraulic brakes already, I defiantly would try to convert to handlebar steering.......just to see if I could do it. To try to do it with standard old style brakes, well, that is just too much head scratching. As far as any fab work, I have my own lathe, mig welder and access to full machine shop. What I need is to find someone parting out a machine who will part with the masters for a reasonable (aka cheap) price. I did find some but the price was not conductive to an experment. The machine is used generally from mid September to January first so I have a lot of downtime to play with it mechanically. In theory anyway. The older I get, the faster the clock moves and someone wants things done around the house. You know the labour pool is low when a former employer offers a 70 year old a part time job. One day a week. I am afraid that would turn into more than that, and I am too soft hearted, or stupid (probably stupid )to say no to more than one day a week cause he needs the help. Decisions decisions.

+ Reply to Thread