convert skid steering in to handlebar steering.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: convert skid steering in to handlebar steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Laird View Post
    If I had hydraulic brakes already, I defiantly would try to convert to handlebar steering.......just to see if I could do it. To try to do it with standard old style brakes, well, that is just too much head scratching. As far as any fab work, I have my own lathe, mig welder and access to full machine shop. What I need is to find someone parting out a machine who will part with the masters for a reasonable (aka cheap) price. I did find some but the price was not conductive to an experment. The machine is used generally from mid September to January first so I have a lot of downtime to play with it mechanically. In theory anyway. The older I get, the faster the clock moves and someone wants things done around the house. You know the labour pool is low when a former employer offers a 70 year old a part time job. One day a week. I am afraid that would turn into more than that, and I am too soft hearted, or stupid (probably stupid )to say no to more than one day a week cause he needs the help. Decisions decisions.
    Message sent

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Final note on the steering upgrade. NCT reached out with an offer on some parts. We made a deal and the gentleman overdid himself in generosity. He set the parts requested but also added a care package. I would not hesitate to do business with him again. Thanks again NCT.

Well thanks Laird I am sure u will get your brake system upgraded it's been I don't know 30 ish years since I owned a standard brake machine u will luv the upgrade keep in touch with your progress when downtime comes and good luck with your fall hunt it was a pleasure to do business with u.Cheers NCT

So with a handle bar steering you would be braking on one side or the other
    With the two lever system you can apply braking to both sides or any combination input to both sides simultaneously
    Sounds like an easy choice

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    So with a handle bar steering you would be braking on one side or the other
    With the two lever system you can apply braking to both sides or any combination input to both sides simultaneously
    Sounds like an easy choice
    That is correct Big Rob you do have a common lever brake on the t bar that applies both as well as a E brake system to apply both but yes unlike a twin stick u do not have the modulating control over both sides at the same time most wouldn't care but I have been in some situations going down a steep grade well past what would be considered safe and the control u have over both sides is not the same if I had all the oem pieces I would convert my Avenger back for my purposes mind u the ability of being able to tour down a trail one handed does have its advantages at times.Cheers

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    So after I got the parts from NCT, I ended up with a newer (98) Vanguard 2. Hopefully sometime next week I will be able to take it for a ride. Came in a lot of parts so the challenge is reassembly. "Everything is there" statement not quite true. MOST parts were there. It has the 16 Vanguard engine so we will see how it performs. If there is not enough power I will do a swap for the 23 Vanguard in the 92 Vanguard then probably sell the 92 or both. I will see what the market brings. As the newer ones get pricier, the retail on the older ones will increase somewhat. If I keep one or the other I will still play with the idea of handle bar steering. Probably the 98 as it already has the hydraulic brakes mounted. I now have an extra set of masters and calipers that may come up for sale. And if I should sell both then I will have some decent play money for a newer one.......maybe or another older one for a project. Don't know why I do this to myself.

Well Laird here I was hoping to be a help to u I guess I was to a point I helped u hoard Argo parts lol wow u do keep urself busy I do enjoy working on and improving my machine but u got me beat hands down never let fear or common sense slow u down always my motto.nct

Once I got the 98 up and running, I decided to put the 92 up for sale. Make long story short, I ended up selling both units to the same gentleman, and they are in their new home in Nova Scotia. Ended up buying a 2005 Bigfoot with the handlebar steering. Apperently, there are only 9 of this bigfoot colour , mossy oak camo, in Canada and 2 in Ontario. Just what II was told. The partsI got from you went to a gentleman near Peterborough ont. You gave me a good deal so I passed that on. I made up a package deal with axles bearing carriers etc. Probably got rid of stuff I will need down the road.

Lol Laird how many times I moved something out and needed it later iam happy everything has worked out and u got a new ride we have chucked 100 hrs this winter on the rebuild with no issues now pulling tracks and service u take care sir.nct

+ Reply to Thread