In case you haven't heard Argo is now marketing the Atlas EV a full electric 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In case you haven't heard Argo is now marketing the Atlas EV a full electric 8x8

In case you haven't heard Argo is now marketing the Atlas EV a full electric 8x8

https://argoxtv.com/vehicles/atlas-ev

So here it is, electric 8x8 Argo with 107ft-lbs of torque, with 28kWh of battery power with enhanced regenerative braking. It also has a second electric motor to control steering through what they call Admiral E-Steer? Transmission, what ever that means, not exactly sure how this system works but it should be a premium smooth system.

107 ft-lbs of torque is just about double whats available in gas engines so this thing should accelerate to it's to it's 25 mph top speed quickly.

I am not I not an expert on batteries but I believe 28kwh will be good for about three hours of trail riding, with an on-board battery charger accommodating both level 1 and level 2 charging options and an optimized recharge rate as low as 3-hours. Huummmmmm, hows that gonna work in the bush? I guess you could carry a generator.

This thing has a lot of nice features but it is heavy (2,113 LB (958 kg) and expensive with a $49,999 starting price tag.

Okay, Argo so your putting all the good stuff on a very expensive EV: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE THOSE HIGH MAINTENANCE CHAINS AND SPROCKETS REPLACED BY LOW MAINTENANCE, HIGH DURABILITY, SMOOTH, QUIET, BELTS.
    it's a simple fix Argo, DO IT!!!!!

Interesting find. That's a large battery pack. I've wondered for years why they hadn't done this before. It has got to be stealthy. Probably not enough battery power for many of us, could have gone hybrid with a small gas motor to assist with power and charge the batteries.
    I like that Argo is thinking out of the box. It's expensive. I saw the Polaris Ranger EV at a shop and it was not far off this pricing, just shows where the market is going.

Hmmm very interesting and iam sure more than enough benefits but as with everything i have seen in ev tech not even close to affordable for me and many others and as always i wonder the speed in which tech moves the battery's and controllers how long till they are obsolete and not upgradable much like my TVs and cell phone iam ok with save the planet but i cant afford too @ 50k.JMO Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by North Country Tough View Post
    Hmmm very interesting and iam sure more than enough benefits but as with everything i have seen in ev tech not even close to affordable for me and many others and as always i wonder the speed in which tech moves the battery's and controllers how long till they are obsolete and not upgradable much like my TVs and cell phone iam ok with save the planet but i cant afford too @ 50k.JMO Cheers
    All very good points, I also so like what Noel said, "Why not make a hybrid?" Small engine, fewer batteries, less weight. Start with a full charge and have an engine large enough to keep the electric engine moving and batteries charged. Toyota already proved you could do this and keep the whole system as light as a gas powered machine. The pure electric model is expensive and HEAVY! I am still waiting for the chains to go and the belts to be added.

Yes Dan there are many avenues that could be explored that would make it more user friendly and keep the cost down this rendition is nothing more than a me too move it has some possibility's but i still ask why the emission's put out by every atv utv bike snowmobile pale in comparison to the latest issue in the Baltic sea we are catching the drips but the pail has been knocked over and iam pretty darn sure that everyone knows who is responsible one or more rouge leaders can set environmental repair back to square one so convincing the public to shell out hard earned money to pay a premium for a ev of any kind is for the wealthy or the huggers that would not own a offroad vehicle in the first place when food heat and daily staples are off the chart for all this tech and the cost looses it shine pretty quick best money spent by Argo would be to source or refit todays engines to as clean a burn fossil fuel tech that money can buy if a company wants to sell more units 50k is not going to cut it in todays economy in the end price is what sells product in bulk glam and glitter not so much.Cheers

it least it's a start towards future ev propulsion machines ...just like the start of the electric zero turn mowers , etc. i too think the hybrid would be a better first step towards all electric . they sure can't be going for the'' everyday guy market '' .it would take a second mortgage to buy that machine . did it mention top speed ? i bet it is fun to drive ! jboy

At nearly the same price as a Tesla model 3 I don't see how they're going to sell a single unit to anyone other than dealers for demo purposes. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. In a vehicle with such a light footprint you could really load these things up with batteries and still tread lightly. Kills me that they are still using a transmission though. If you're going to offer a product at a cutting edge price, the drivetrain better be cutting edge. A large fancy display isn't what hunters want when under the panels it's barely different than the gas units. For this to work they need to reinvent the drivetrain, not incorporate. Awesome idea, hope gen 2 is belts and dual motor.

Yep, for that kind of money they should have an electric motor at each wheel, no trans or chains needed, and a joystick to control it all. Make it with regen and you might not even need any kind of braking system save for some type of parking/emergency brake. If the range isn't decent then make it a hybrid. Maybe someday..........

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    it least it's a start towards future ev propulsion machines ...just like the start of the electric zero turn mowers , etc. i too think the hybrid would be a better first step towards all electric . they sure can't be going for the'' everyday guy market '' .it would take a second mortgage to buy that machine . did it mention top speed ? i bet it is fun to drive ! jboy
    John to be clear Iam a great proponent of save the planet for our next generations to come and by no means being confrontational mother earth has provided for us like no other, I question the EV movement in general seems a bit cart before the horse not sure where you live and your states situation but here in Ontario we have the mighty Niagara river and three nuclear plants that i know of and some coal fired and the provincial government is already giving out incentives to lower your electricity use or we are going to have issues with supply that said if Ontario suddenly put millions of EVs out there where is this power coming from upgrades to our current power grid and more produced power CLEANLY is the first step to have to shovel coal into antiquated power plants seems to me one step forward 5 back the grid in many if not most of Canada can not handle the plan they have currently unless there is some hidden alien technology they are about to bring out it could take decades to bring North American power supply and grids up to par to handle millions upon millions of EV powered cars lawnmowers atv sleds whatever in the town i live frequent power disruptions now as the climate warms air conditioning is in more and more homes and businesses even in the north trailer and RV parks are facing total grid issues as all have A/C cranked during the summer and brown outs common.Cheers

EVs

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    John to be clear Iam a great proponent of save the planet for our next generations to come and by no means being confrontational mother earth has provided for us like no other, I question the EV movement in general seems a bit cart before the horse not sure where you live and your states situation but here in Ontario we have the mighty Niagara river and three nuclear plants that i know of and some coal fired and the provincial government is already giving out incentives to lower your electricity use or we are going to have issues with supply that said if Ontario suddenly put millions of EVs out there where is this power coming from upgrades to our current power grid and more produced power CLEANLY is the first step to have to shovel coal into antiquated power plants seems to me one step forward 5 back the grid in many if not most of Canada can not handle the plan they have currently unless there is some hidden alien technology they are about to bring out it could take decades to bring North American power supply and grids up to par to handle millions upon millions of EV powered cars lawnmowers atv sleds whatever in the town i live frequent power disruptions now as the climate warms air conditioning is in more and more homes and businesses even in the north trailer and RV parks are facing total grid issues as all have A/C cranked during the summer and brown outs common.Cheers

+ Reply to Thread