hydro lock

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hydro lock

hydro lock

what's usually the cause of gas leaking into the cylinders on my briggs twin vanguard ? if i shut off the gas and run it till it dies , it fires right up the next day . thanks j.boy

John I had a Vanguard Briggs in a Argo Bigfoot a number of years back that had a similar issue it ran rich would not idle well and shut it down it would flood I replaced both the float and the needle and seat and all was well I did have a low pressure electric pump on it I had to eliminate the original pulse pump it was weak and pumping uphill as the tank lower than the carb but I see no other way gas can get into your cylinders other than the carb the original fuel pump is a pulse unit that is using crankcase pulse so if it had a bad diaphragm gas would end up in the oil not the cylinders it has to enter thru the carb is your fuel cell higher than the engine?

no , on a max 2 it's pretty much the same level . motor run's great , idles good etc. did,nt have this problem till maybe a year ago . i'll keep doing some research . thanks jb

The original needle and seat had a Vinton tipped needle that the new fuel ethanol didn't like it turned hard as a rock and would not hold back any pressure the replacement did not have the rubbery tip I guess to stand up to the good gas lol .

The new fuel with ethanol blend plays havoc on the fuel lines and carb needles, as well as just building up crud on the butterflies and throat of the carbs. I try to purchase non ethanol blended fuel when it is available. Its getting hard to find these days. I add Startron every time I fill a machine up and this works to abate the issue. I also run my machines at least an hour once a month and then add fresh fuel too. Since I've been doing this I haven't had as many issues.

thanks noel...i will try the startron and i can get non ethanol gas in town . could be the needles in the carb , so i'll get new ones ..thanks much jboy

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    thanks noel...i will try the startron and i can get non ethanol gas in town . could be the needles in the carb , so i'll get new ones ..thanks much jboy
    If you suspect the ethanol has already harmed your needle, it might be a good idea to take a look at your fuel line too. If they are original, and the machine predates ethanol in fuel, then there's a good chance that your machine is running the old style fuel lines which don't play nice with ethanol in fuel. Let us know if the new needle works for you!

thanks bennett ....fuel lines are'nt that old and are still good . needle is ordered ..will let you know when i tackle it . i guess i need to remove carb to change the needle ? thanks jboy

Yeah, you'll have to remove the carb to change that needle. Take a look at the float while you're in there too, sometimes floats will come out of adjustment or even develop a small hole and "sink" while in the carb. That prevents the needle from seating, and allows fuel to constantly flood into the carb and eventually hydro lock your cylinders.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying *real* hard not to look too closely at a Max IV that's come up for sale near me for a good price. I'm supposed to be saving for another 8x8, an avenger or HDI, but those darn max's keep trying to drag me over to the dark side.

yea .. if i ever had a max 4 , i would modify it like some others have done . moving the engine and trans in line and one seat in front . nice thing about that is the tub is more open then and all the chains and sprockets and bearings and tensioners are way easy to get to. not good though if you want to carry passengers . whats the price on it ? jboy

+ Reply to Thread